chapter 17

Surveillance tapes?

How the hell did I forget about the surveillance cameras?

I watched Xander, head computer geek and others bring down computers and other gadgets. They plugged their equipments into the large plasma screen and proceeded to connect to the mainframe.

I watched as they scanned the videos saved in the mainframe and singled out all the videos that were recorded on Monday, the day I left with Ophelia.

All I could think about was 'This is it, I'm going to die'  'Its official, I'm going to die'  'I'm going to die!'
Its not like I didn't know it was going to happen, I knew something wrong was going to happen today I just didn't expect my life to end this way. The worst part of it was the security cameras were able to record audio. 'I'm definitely going to die.'

They played a video. It showed Ophelia running towards the mansion, taking a break, walking, collapsing at the front door, talking to Nicholas, walking into her room, running  out of her room towards her father's office .............

"This is a waste of time, fast forward it to the time they got back." Antonio barked.

Xander did as he said, fast forwarding all video feeds. When he stopped he singled out a video that showed a car pulling into the driveway. I recognized the car immediately, it was the one we left with when we went to the wedding shop. Minutes later, Nicholas exited the car, the video showed Ophelia and I talking in the car. Thankfully we weren't close to the security camera so it couldn't record our conversation.
It showed me leaving the car, after a few minutes Ophelia left the car too.

"Bring up feeds for both of them." Antonio said.

After tapping and clicking his computer for a few seconds Xander brought up two video recordings of me and Ophelia playing simultaneously.

My feed showed me walking towards Antonio's office and going in, Ophelia's showed her going into her room.

After a few minutes, I came out of Antonio's office and  walked down the corridor. I knew what was going to come up next, it was our meeting in the garden and I knew what was going to happen next after that video ended.

I placed my hand over my face. I couldn't watch but I had to peek, the tension in the air was so agonizing.

Then something happened ......

I saw myself move down the corridor to my room.

What the hell? I never went to my room before going to the garden? Was this some sort of miracle?

I sat up straight watching. Maybe it slipped my mind, maybe I did go to my room before going to the garden.

What happened a few minutes later made me clean my eyes twice.
I dragged a suitcase out of my room, dropped it in front of my door, walked back to Antonio's office, walked out, picked my suitcase and walked down to the corridor.

"Follow him."

Xander pulled up video feeds from the many cameras in the mansion, singling out the ones that had me in it as I walked down the corridor, it showed as I stopped to talked to different mob members as I made my way to the parking lot, then I got in my car and zoomed off.

While all these were happening Ophelia's feed remained inactive. Apart from the guards standing in the corridor, there was no other movement.

If Ophelia wasn't with me for the past few days, I would have thought I imagined the meeting in the garden.

Or was this some sort of trick on the part of Antonio? Was he trying to gauge my reaction? Or did he just want to drive me crazy?

I didn't know what to believe anymore, myself or the video?