Chapter three

Dean stared at Castiel for almost a full minute.

"I... Yes," he said, starting to aggressively re-stock the counter displays. Castiel simply nodded. Charlie nudged Dean.

"See? It's not a big deal."

"Charlie, I swear to god if you don't shut up," Dean threatened. Charlie threw her hands up defensively. Dean watched Cas as the man rubbed his arms. Dean sat down across from him.

"Look, I get it if you don't want to stay with me anymore, but-"

"I never said that," Cas cut him off.

"So you're okay with that?" Dean asked.

"That's fine, Dean. I don't care. I mean, I'm blind, who am I to judge?" Cas said.

"There's nothing shameful about being blind, Cas," Dean replied. Cas just ducked his head.

"Why are you so touchy about that?" Dean asked. Cas stood up.

"I do not want to discuss this any further, Dean," he said, and he tried to walk away, but he ran into another table. Dean jumped up and hurried to Cas' side.

"Hey, it's okay. I won't ask again, just sit down," Dean said, leading Cas back to his table.

"Okay," Cas said, sitting down. Dean nodded and went to make a fresh pot of coffee as another customer came in. Dean watched Cas most of the rest of the day. He didn't move much, mostly just listened to everything going on around him.

***

"Well, I've gotta split. I've got a party to be at. See you tomorrow, Dean," Charlie said as the store closed for the night.

"Yeah. Have fun tonight, and don't get too wasted, you hear?" Dean said, raising his eyebrows.

"Yes, dad," she mocked, smiling and grabbing her jacket. "Bye, Cas."

"Goodbye, Charlie," Cas said. Charlie waved and trotted out to her car. As she drove away, Dean turned to look at Cas.

"Okay, I've got to go to the store to stock up. You wanna come, or do you wanna stay here?" Dean asked. Cas stood up.

"If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to come. But I understand you wish to go alone," he said. Dean took Cas by his arm and led him outside.

"Of course it's not too much trouble." Dean walked up to his car and opened the door for Cas, helping him in. Dean's car was his pride and joy. It was a black, 1967 Chevy Impala. It had been his father's car, before he died two years ago, leaving the car to Dean. He ran a hand over the hood as he walked around the front to the driver's seat. Cas didn't say anything as Dean started the car, merely rubbing his hands nervously.

"Are you okay?" Dean asked.

"I'm fine, Dean. I just... Don't like cars," Cas replied. Dean reached over and squeezed Cas' shoulder reassuringly.

"Don't worry, I've got you," he said. Cas shifted.

"Considering you only have one hand on the wheel and might not be looking at the road, forgive me if I don't take your word for it," he said. Dean chuckled.

"I guess you're right. Sorry," he said, letting Cas' shoulder go and returning his focus to driving. They didn't say anything else until Dean parked the car.

"We're here," he said. He and Cas both got out of the car and Cas started to walk towards the store.

"Hey, wait up!" Dean said, rushing after him.

"I'm perfectly capable, Dean," Cas replied over his shoulder.

"How do you even know you're going towards the store?" Dean asked, grabbing Cas' arm and stopping him. Cas thought for a moment.

"I suppose I have no way of knowing that..." He mumbled.

"Yeah. You don't have to be scared around me, Cas. I've got your back," Dean said, leading Cas into the store. He grabbed a cart and put Cas' hand on it.

"Don't let go," he said. Cas nodded and Dean started pushing the cart around, grabbing what he needed.

"Do you like pie?" He asked after a few minutes of silent shopping. Cas shrugged.

"I suppose it's okay," he said.

"Pie is amazing," Dean said, grabbing a frozen pizza. He started to move on, but just then he heard two guys chuckling and muttering to each other nearby.

"What is he, a baby that he has to hold onto the cart? Afraid he'll wander off?" Dean heard one of them say, and by the look on his face, he guessed Cas had heard it too.

"Hey!" He called to them gruffly. "If you have something to say, say it!" They looked up at him.

"What up with your boyfriend? Is he an overgrown baby or just stupid?" One of them jeered. Cas' hand slipped off the side of the cart and tears filled his eyes.

"If you say one more word I will rip your heads off!" Dean exclaimed. They walked away, still laughing. Dean turned back to the cart. "Assholes..." He muttered. "You okay, Cas?" Cas wiped at his eyes.

"I'm fine," he said quietly, placing his hand back on the cart. Dean nodded and started moving again. Cas didn't talk all the way back to Dean's apartment, and when Dean had finished putting everything away, he sat at the dining table across from Cas.

"What's wrong, Cas?" He asked.

"Nothing, I'm fine," Cas replied.

"Bull. I can tell something's bothering you. Is it what those two idiots said earlier? Because you shouldn't listen to them," Dean said.

"But they were right, Dean," Cas said.

"That's not true and you know it. You need to stop beating yourself up over this stuff, okay?" Dean said.

"I... Okay," Cas replied. Dean nodded and stood up.

"Now, I'm going to make us some dinner," he said. Cas nodded. As Dean started cooking some hamburgers, he realized how quickly he'd bonded with Cas. It had barely been a full day, but he felt like he was responsible for Cas, and, as weird as it was, he felt like they were friends.