Chapter twenty-four

Cas didn't dream that night and the hands that touched him were real, and welcomed and comforting. Cas had never experienced Dean being so tender and loving before. He had been so soft, and Cas loved it. Now, Cas lay with Dean's arms around him, his head against Dean's bare chest.

"I love you," Dean said quietly into Cas' hair.

"I love you too, Dean," Cas said. Dean took a deep shuddering breath. "Are you okay?" Cas asked.

"I just... never thought I'd ever hear you say that. It seems like I've been in love with you forever," Dean said.

"When did you know?" Cas asked him, trailing his hand up and down Dean's stomach.

"The night we went to the park. When I told you about the last man I'd fallen in love with," Dean said.

"That seems like ages ago," Cas said.

"I know. So much has happened since then," Dean said.

"I'm glad it got us here," Cas told him. Cas felt Dean kiss the top of his head.

"I am too."

***

That Saturday, Charlie went into overdrive, or, as Cas called it: Party Planning Mode: Level Extreme. But it was effective. Dean said their apartment looked great, and Charlie assured them that the night would only get better. When Sam finally got there, he'd brought Jess.

"It's amazing to meet you, Dean, I've heard so much about you from Sam," she said.

"Oh no," Dean said. Cas smiled and Jess laughed.

"No, it was all good stuff. I'm assuming you're Cas?" Jess asked. Cas nodded.

"Yes, that's me," he said.

Dean ended up cooking dinner for everyone, which was amazing, and they all had a great time talking. Cas was starting to not get so scared when he was alone, but he still clung to Dean like a barnacle when he was there.

"You two really love each other, don't you?" Jess asked when Dean had gone to grab another beer.

"We've been through a lot together. He's amazing," Cas said. 

"I'm happy for you guys," Jess said.

"I'm happy too," Cas said.

***

"Dean..." Cas and Dean were cuddling on the couch that night after everyone had left, Dean running his hands through Cas' hair.

"Yeah?" Dean prompted.

"I'm sorry I'm blind," Cas said softly. Dean sat up straighter.

"What? Why are you apologizing for that? It's not your fault, and it's not something you need to apologize for," Dean said.

"But-" Cas started.

"No, Cas. I don't know how you got it in your head that being blind is something to apologize for, but you don't have to. I don't care about that," Dean said.

"But you deserve better," Cas said.

"Stop talking like that. All I want is you, Cas," Dean said. Cas shifted and buried his face in Dean's shirt, breathing in deeply.

"Thank you," Cas said.

"I love you," Dean said, stroking Cas' hair.

"I love you too," Cas mumbled. They stayed like that for a long time, just talking, and Cas had never felt safer in his life.