Chapter six

Cas waited nervously for Dean to answer.

"What do you mean? No one ever told you?" Dean asked.

"No," Cas said softly.

"Not even your parents?" Cas' cheeks turned red.

"No," he murmured, "I just... Tell me the colors." Dean put a hand on his shoulder.

"Well, your hair is black, and you've got tan skin, and your eyes... Your eyes are blue," he said.

"Blue like the sky? The sky's blue, right?" Cas asked eagerly.

"Yeah, the sky's blue, but your eyes... They're better than the sky. They're so bright, and so deep, and they're the kind of blue you find yourself getting lost in. They're beautiful, and warm, and... Blue," Dean finished. Cas smiled, touched.

"Really?" He asked. Dean cleared his throat.

"Yeah. Now, uh, I have to open up the bakery. You coming?" He asked. Cas nodded and stood up. Dean placed Cas' hand on Dean's shoulder and led him down to the bakery. Charlie came in a few minutes later.

"What up, my bitches? Wow, Cas, what are you so happy about?" She asked.

"Dean... Dean told me about my eyes. He said they were beautiful," Cas told her, beaming.

"He did? That's great," Charlie replied, rather forced. "Dean, let's go back and check on the pies."

"Okay," Dean said.

***

It was busy that day, and Cas didn't have a lot of time to chat with Dean and Charlie. After they had closed up for the night, Charlie was determined to take them out again.

"Really?" Dean complained as they climbed into Charlie's car again.

"Come on, the fair is a great place to hang out. It'll be fun!" Charlie said. Cas was looking forward to the experience very much as he'd never been to a fair before. He was distracted the whole way over there, until Charlie parked the car and took Cas' hand to lead him in. It was very loud, but very exciting. They wandered around for a while before Charlie stopped.

"Guys, let's go on the Ferris wheel!" She exclaimed.

"Ferris wheel? I think I've been on one of those before. It goes in a circle, right?" Cas asked.

"Yeah, it's fun! C'mon!" Charlie said, pulling Cas forward.

"Ferris wheels are boring," Dean said.

"Oh please, everyone knows you ride the Ferris wheel for the view..." Charlie started animatedly, but she trailed off at the end, looking at Cas.

"Well I wouldn't want you to miss that. Let's go," Cas said.

"Okay," Charlie said. They got in line, which was thankfully a short one. Charlie helped Cas on and they all sat down as it moved to let more people on. They ended up stopped at the top, where Cas could tell Charlie was trying her best not to ooh and aah.

"What does the view look like?" Cas asked.

"There are lights everywhere. People are walking around, and beyond the fair there's hills and woods. I can see the moon. It's beautiful," Charlie told him.

"What do you think, Dean?"

"Yeah, it's pretty," Dean said simply. Cas enjoyed the Ferris wheel greatly.

"Now let's get food!" Charlie exclaimed after they got off, taking Cas' hand and starting to walk.

"Okay, Cas, we're about to enter a heavily populated area, so hold on tight, okay?" Charlie said. Cas nodded and tightened his grip on her hand. After a few seconds, Cas found himself being pushed and knocked every which way by people. He started breathing heavily, focusing on Charlie's hand, but then, suddenly; she was gone. He was alone.

"Charlie? Dean? Dean!" Cas yelled, but received no answer. He stood there, frozen, not knowing what to do, until someone bumped into him and knocked him down. He heard someone try to apologize to him, but he was already scrambling away. He ran until he found a building and curled up against the wall. He was panicking.

"I didn't mean to let go, I didn't mean to let go, I'm sorry, I'm sorry," he babbled. He pulled his knees up to his chest and rocked back and forth, starting to cry.

"Cas! Cas!" He heard Dean's voice.

"Cas? Cas, where are you?" Charlie yelled. Cas tried to yell to them, but he couldn't make his voice work, all he could do was whimper.

"Charlie, look! There he is!" Dean said. Suddenly, Dean's arms wrapped around Cas.

"Hey, it's okay, Cas, it's okay, I'm here, I'm right here," he said.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to let go, I didn't mean..." Cas sobbed, clutching Dean to him.

"It's okay, it's not your fault. It's okay, Cas," Dean said.

"We should go home," Charlie said.

"Yeah," Dean said, standing up, bringing Cas with him. "Come on, Cas, come with me." Cas walked forward slowly, Dean's arm still wrapped around him. He cried most of the way back with Dean hugging him in the backseat, but he started to calm down as they got there. They all went up to Dean's apartment together, and Cas changed into his pajamas.

"I'm thinking maybe we shouldn't go out anymore," Charlie said once they were all settled in the living room.

"Why do you say that?" Dean asked.

"Well two out of two times, the night hasn't ended well," Charlie pointed out.

"That's true," Dean said. Cas didn't say anything.

"Hey, Charlie, what do you say to staying for dinner? We could hang out here," Dean suggested.

"It's late, we could all use some sleep. But tomorrow night, we are definitely having a party!" Charlie exclaimed. Dean and Charlie both stood up and walked to the door.

"Okay. We'll see you tomorrow morning, Charlie," Dean said.

"See ya, Dean. Bye, Cas!" Charlie said.

"Bye, Charlie," Cas mumbled. After Charlie left and they ate, Dean led Cas back to his room, and they both got into bed. Cas tried to fall asleep, but he couldn't.

"Dean?"

"Yeah, Cas?"

"I'm... I'm scared," Cas admitted.

"You don't have to be scared, Cas, I'm right here," Dean said. Cas rolled over and laid himself against Dean, his head on Dean's chest.

"C-Cas, what are you doing?" Dean asked.

"I need to know you're here," Cas said, embarrassed.

"Okay. Okay, I'm here," Dean said. He tried to sound soothing, but his voice was shaking slightly. Cas felt him wrap his arm around Cas' shoulder, and it wasn't long after that he slipped into a peaceful sleep.