Chapter twenty-one

Dean had finally spotted Charlie across the room and was about to go over to her when he glanced over to where Cas had been and saw that he was gone. Dean rushed over and looked around, starting to panic. Cas could be anywhere, where would he have gone? Dean darted through the bar, looking for Cas, until he passed by the back door and heard someone screaming his name outside. Dean rushed out the door to see Cas, pinned against the wall, sobbing, while a guy pinned him to the wall, kissing his neck and running his hand up Cas' shirt.

"Hey!" Dean yelled, rage filling him like nothing he had ever experienced before. The man whipped around, saw Dean, and ran. Dean was about to run after him when he saw Cas start to fall. Dean caught Cas, and Cas started to struggle weakly.

"Hey, it's okay, it's me, it's Dean, you're safe now. You're okay," Dean said, and they sank to the ground as Cas stopped struggling and sobbed into Dean's shoulder. Dean looked up as the door opened and Charlie came out.

"Dean- Cas? What happened?" Charlie asked.

"Some guy had him out here..." Dean trailed off, letting Charlie fill in the blanks herself. Charlie put a hand to her mouth in horror, her eyes tearing up.

"Where is he, I swear to god I'll kill him," she said.

"He ran, I couldn't leave Cas," Dean said. Charlie nodded. Cas was shaking horribly, still crying, and Dean went back to talking to him, telling him he was okay, that he was safe.

Charlie had driven them back to the apartment while Dean held Cas in the backseat. When Dean had tried to let Cas go for them to get out of the car, Cas let out a strangled yelp and clung to Dean tighter, so Dean just carried him. Now they were in the apartment and Dean and Cas were sitting on the couch. Cas had stopped crying, but he still hadn't said anything. Charlie had gone home after many protests to stay, so it was just the two of them, Cas' head resting on Dean's chest.

"Do you want me to read to you?" Dean asked. Cas nodded his head slowly. Dean picked up the book, which was luckily within arms reach, and started to read.

Dean read for a long time until he realized that Cas had fallen asleep. Dean picked Cas up and carried him to his room, setting him on his bed and wrapping the covers around him. Dean stood there for a second, watching Cas sleep, before going back to his own room. As he lay on the bed, not having to worry about Cas anymore, Dean's thoughts turned in to himself. How he could he have let this happen? He never should have left Cas alone. A tear spilled out of Dean's eye. This was all his fault.