Chapter eleven

"I've never really been in love with anyone like I was with him."

Dean realized as soon as he said it that it was a lie. He was completely, stupidly, irrevocably in love with Castiel. Dean watched him as he went back to his thoughts, wanting nothing more than to kiss him.

"Can we go walking?" Cas asked, jolting Dean from his thoughts.

"Sure, of course," Dean said. They both stood up and started walking down a path, hands still joined.

"It's night, right? The sun's gone down?" Cas asked.

"Yeah, we've been here a while," Dean said, trying not to stare at Cas.

"Is it pretty? Can you see the stars?" Cas asked him. Dean looked up at the sky.

"There are a few, yeah. It is pretty," he told Cas. Cas smiled.

"I've always wished I could see the sky. It sounds amazing," he said.

"I wish you could see it too." I wish you could see me. Dean watched the ground as they continued walking in silence.

"I hope you find someone, Dean," Cas suddenly spoke. Dean looked at him and fought back the surge of sadness.

"Nah, I kinda like the sound of being the grumpy old man that does nothing but make pie and shout at children," he said.

"Well I hope you've got room for one more, because I doubt I'll ever get married. I don't think I'll be shouting at children, though," Cas said. Dean glanced at him.

"Sorry, shouting is part of the deal, shout or you're on your own," he said, smiling.

"Rats. Oh well," Cas joked.

"But seriously, there'll always be a rocking chair for you at my place," Dean said. Cas grinned.

"Well, you hear that, mom? I got a rocking chair all on my own, aren't you proud?" He said. Dean chuckled. They stood for another second in silence before Dean spoke.

"We should probably head back, its getting late," he said. Cas nodded and they started back towards the car.

"I did mean it, though. There will always be a place for you here, Cas. No matter what, no matter when," Dean said as they reached the car. Cas smiled.

"Thank you, Dean. You're the best friend I've ever had," he said.

"Yeah... same here. I'm glad we met, Cas," Dean replied. Dean helped Cas into the car, pushing his feelings down. Cas wasn't gay, and that was that. It wasn't going to happen. He needed to accept it.