Chapter twelve

Cas was happy after the park. A few days afterwards, he was sitting at his usual table at the bakery. Charlie had just left to get something and Dean was in the back when someone came in. Cas thought he heard a jingling sound and was puzzled before he realized what it could be.

"Do you have a dog?" He asked excitedly.

"Um... yeah," he heard a girl's voice. Cas grinned and made his way over to where he thought it was.

"Can I pet it?" He asked.

"Sure, why not? His name is Gus, he's a Great Dane," the girl said. Cas slowly felt out the dog and started petting him.

"Hey Cas, did I- oh god," Dean said, coming around the corner.

"Look Dean! Is he cute? I bet he's cute!" Cas exclaimed.

"I... uh... what can I get you?" Dean asked the girl, ignoring Cas. Cas stood up after the girl ordered and left.

"Dean, is something wrong? You sounded nervous," he asked.

"I just... don't like dogs," Dean said. Cas heard a creaking sound and assumed Dean had sat down.

"Really? But you... you seemed like that kind of person who would love dogs," Cas said.

"Well I don't!" Dean snapped. Cas flinched.

"Oh. O-Okay..." he said sheepishly. Dean sighed.

"I'm sorry, Cas. Just forget I said anything, okay? I just... dogs stress me out," Dean said, his voice softening. Cas nodded and sat back down.

"Hey, do you want to go out somewhere tonight?" Dean asked. Cas straightened. They couldn't go out tonight, not with his plans.

"I think I'd rather stay in, actually," Cas said.

"Okay. Charlie will probably be disappointed," Dean said. Cas smiled.

"Maybe for a minute or two, but Charlie always seems to have back-up plans," he said.

"Isn't that the truth," Dean said.

***

"So what do you want to do tonight?" Dean asked as Cas sat on the couch.

"I don't know. I used to listen to books a lot, but I doubt you have audiobooks just lying around," Cas said.

"Well no, but I could... I could read to you if you wanted," Dean said. Cas smiled softly.

"I would like that, Dean," he said.

"Okay. Just let me get a book," Dean said. Cas pulled his knees up to his chest and waited.

"Ok, so the only book I can find is The Fault in Our Stars. I don't know how it got here, but are you still down for it?" Dean asked. Cas nodded.

"I've been meaning to read it anyway," he said. Dean sighed.

"Ok. For you, I'll try not to puke while reading this," Dean said. Cas smiled. When Dean started reading, Cas settled down, listening to the beautiful sound of Dean's voice. They were almost through the first chapter when there was a knock at the door. Cas sat up straighter and Dean stopped reading. Cas heard the sounds of Dean standing up and going to the door and opening it, but after that, there was just silence. Cas waited, his heart pounding, until Dean finally spoke.

"Sammy?"