Chapter seven

Dean couldn't sleep. Not while Cas was so close, not while he was practically on top of Dean. When he had told Charlie he wasn't in love with Cas, he'd meant it, but now he felt himself slipping. He had always had a tendency to feel the need to protect people, but this man was totally new. He rested his cheek against the top of Cas' head, taking a deep breath, trying to calm himself down. It seemed like a year before Cas rolled over and Dean was able to close his eyes and relax.

***

Dean woke up the next morning to a big thud and a yelp. When he looked over at the other side of the bed, he saw that Cas had rolled off the edge.

"Cas? Are you okay?" He asked, laughing.

"Yes, I think so," Cas replied, slowly standing up. Dean rolled out of bed and walked over to Cas.

"Good, because I can't face a dinner party with Charlie alone," he said.

"Why not?" Cas asked. "Dinner with Charlie sounds nice." Dean took Cas' arm and helped him out to the kitchen.

"Charlie is very enthusiastic. Generally more enthusiastic than I am," Dean said. Cas smiled.

"I have noticed that," he said, sitting at the table.

"So, you need to be my shield, alright? Can I count on you, soldier?" Dean asked, going about finding breakfast. Cas gave a mock salute.

"Sir yes sir!" He exclaimed. Dean laughed.

"Good. We thank you for your service to our country," he said.

***

Dean couldn't help but smile at how excited Cas looked.

"She'll be here any minute. She lives close, she said she just wanted to change," he said. Cas nodded.

It was a few minutes after that that there was a rapid knocking at the door.

"I'm here!" Charlie said from outside. Dean opened the door and she rocketed in faster than he could say "hi".

"Hey Cas! Hey Dean! You guys ready for some fabulous fun?" Charlie asked enthusiastically.

"As long as we don't leave the house," Dean said.

"Yeah I think we're good on that. I have no ideas of leaving," Charlie said before turning to Cas.

"Now, what do you say we leave Dean to get cooking and we have fun somewhere?" She asked. Cas smiled.

"I'd like that," he said.

"Hey! Don't abandon me!" Dean exclaimed. Cas just saluted again.

***

Dean was glad he'd told Cas to be his shield, because he didn't want Cas to feel bad about how Charlie was hardcore keeping Cas away from him. He supposed he understood why. You'd have to be blind to miss Dean's attraction to Cas... bad choice of words.

"It's almost done," Dean called into the living room.

"Awesome! Cas, let's go!" Charlie exclaimed.

After Dean had dished out the burgers and french fries and everyone had settled down, Cas spoke.

"I'm glad we did this, I'm having fun," he said.

"Good. I'm glad too," Charlie said.

"What about you, Dean? You haven't said much," Cas said. Dean shifted.

"Well I've been cooped up in the kitchen so long making food for you ungrateful people I think I've forgotten what conversation is," Dean said, smiling. Cas grinned.

"Well you have been in the kitchen for a while, but don't call me ungrateful," he said.

"Sir, I am offended that you think that I would ever be ungrateful for fries!" Charlie exclaimed. Dean and Cas both smiled.

After everyone had finished their food, Cas volunteered to help clean up. Charlie gave them both a look.

"I should probably go," she said.

"Really? So soon?" Cas asked.

"Yeah, I've got some wild plans tomorrow, I should probably prepare adequately," Charlie told him, grinning.

"I'm not even going to ask," Dean said.

"Yeah, better you don't," Charlie said. She hugged Dean and Cas and they exchanged a million goodbyes before she finally left.

"I liked that," Cas said.

"Yeah, it was pretty fun," Dean said.

"I'm pretty tired, I think I'm going to go to bed," Cas said.

"Okay," Dean said. He helped Cas to the room and watched as he settled in.

"Do you need anything else?" Dean asked.

"No, I'm fine," Cas said.

"Okay. Good night, Cas," Dean said.

"Good night."