Chapter four

"Hey Cas, have we met before? You look kind of familiar, it's been bugging me since yesterday," Charlie said. It was the next day, and Cas was sitting at the same table in the bakery. Cas ducked his head.

"N-No, I don't think so," he said.

"Well we can't trust you anyway. When we first met, it was because she was stalking me because she thought  I was a member of her favorite band," Dean said. Cas smiled.

"Really?" He asked.

"Okay, I wasn't stalking you," Charlie said.

"Then what were you doing?" Dean asked.

"I... I was... Shut up," she muttered. Dean and Cas both laughed, but Cas quickly stopped so he could listen to Dean. He hadn't heard Dean laugh yet, but now that he did, he never wanted it to end. But Dean quickly calmed down.

"I like your laugh, Dean," Cas said.

"Really?" Dean asked.

"Yes. It's very beautiful," Cas replied.

"Oh. Thanks, I guess," Dean said. Cas nodded. After a second of silence, Charlie spoke up.

"Hey Dean, can you come back and help me with something?" She asked.

"Sure. We'll be right back, okay, Cas?" Dean said.

"Okay," Cas replied. Dean followed Charlie into the back. While they were back there, someone came in. They didn't say anything, and neither did Cas. They walked up to the counter and rang the bell. It took a moment for Dean to come back out.

"What can I- oh, hey Lisa," he said.

"Hi Dean," Lisa said. She didn't sound like she was in a very flirty mood.

"What can I get you?" Dean asked.

"Do you have an apple pie? Ben just passed a test he was worried about, I thought we'd celebrate," she said.

"Do I have an apple pie? Have you met me? I'll be right back," Dean said. He went into the back and came out slowly.

"Here you go. I just made it, and it is a beauty," he said. Cas heard the crinkle of plastic bags.

"Thanks, Dean. Ben's gonna love it," Lisa said.

"No problem. Have a good day," Dean replied. Lisa walked out. In the moment of silence that followed, Cas listened to the soft music playing.

"I haven't known you very long, but top 40 pop doesn't seem to be your thing, Dean," he observed.

"Well I started out playing classic rock, but everyone was so confused to listen to highway to hell while grabbing a morning doughnut that I decided to go a different route," Dean replied. Cas chuckled.

"I suppose I understand that," he said.

"So what do you guys want to do tonight?" Charlie asked.

"Were we planning on doing something?" Cas asked, confused.

"No, but I guess we are now. What do you want to do, Charlie?" Dean asked. Charlie hmmmed

"Honestly, I want to take you to a gay bar, but that probably wouldn't be fun for Cas. Maybe we could... Go ice skating or something," she finally said.

"A gay bar? Really?" Dean said.

"You... Care what I think? I don't have to come. I can stay here, you guys can do whatever you want," Cas said.

"No way, Cas! You're our friend, you're coming with us. And of course we care what you think. Why wouldn't we?" Charlie asked. Cas didn't answer, creating an awkward silence.

"Can't we just go to a regular bar?" Dean blurted eventually.

"No. We're going ice skating," Charlie said. They were stopped from saying anything else by the arrival of another customer.

After they had closed up that night, Charlie dragged Dean and Cas out to her car.

"We're not even taking Baby?" Dean complained.

"Just get in the car," Charlie said. She drove, with Dean in the passenger seat and Cas in the back, now wearing one of Dean's jackets. It didn't take them very long to get there, and Dean led Cas inside. Cas felt the cold as soon as they stepped inside. Dean went to get everyone's skates and Cas sat on a bench. When Dean came back, he handed Cas his skates.

"Do you need any help?" He asked. Cas shook his head.

"Maybe I shouldn't do this..." He said quietly.

"Oh no. Not a chance. If I'm doing this, so are you!" Dean said enthusiastically. Cas smiled a tiny bit and nodded.

"Okay, Dean. And no, I can do just fine by myself," he said. He changed into his skates and tried to stand up but immediately started to fall. Dean caught him and held him steady.

"Careful there," Dean chuckled.

"Okay, let's do this thing! Cas, I will be your guide!" Charlie said, a little too loudly, grabbing Cas' hand and and pulling him away from Dean. He stumbled, trying to keep up. Charlie helped him onto the ice and held his hand as he got his bearings.

"You good?" Charlie asked. Cas nodded.

"Okay. Come with me!" She said, pulling him forwards. She spent the next ten minutes trying to teach Cas to ice skate with disastrous results.

"I don't think blind people are supposed to ice skate, Charlie," Cas said as Charlie helped him up for the thousandth time.

"No, it's fine. Anyone could've... Run into the wall," she tried to reassure him.

"Let's just go find Dean," Cas said.

"Okay." Charlie led him to the other side of the rink.

"Hey Dean! How's it going?" Charlie asked.

"I still can't ice skate," Dean said.

"Oh my god, guys, it's not that hard! Come on," Charlie said, and suddenly, she was pulling Cas away again.

"Charlie, let me go," Dean said. Charlie stopped suddenly and forced Dean's hand into Cas', then she took her hands away.

"Now you two, get back to a wall," she said.

"Charlie? Charlie, come back here!" Dean exclaimed.

"Charlie, don't leave us!" Cas said. He tightened his grip on Dean's hand.

"Ow! Cas, I'm losing circulation in my fingers," Dean said.

"Are you really bad at skating, Dean?" Cas asked worriedly, still not loosening his grip.

"Hey, Cas, it's fine. Here, let's try to get back to the wall, okay? Just hold on to my hand," Dean said. Cas felt them start moving slowly, but then his skate snagged, and he went down, taking Dean with him.

"Ow..." Dean muttered. Cas sat up.

"Oh my god, Dean, what happened?" Charlie asked.

"We fell. It looks worse than it is," Dean replied.

"What looks worse than it is?" Cas asked, panicking.

"My nose is bleeding. But I'm fine," Dean insisted. Charlie helped them both up.

"Come on. I'm taking you two home," she said, pulling them forwards.

"I'm sorry I fell, Dean," Cas said, full of shame.

"It's okay, Cas. I'm sorry I wasn't able to catch you."