Chapter nine

"I might stay?"

Dean froze. He hadn't even thought about it, he'd just... he'd gotten so used to Cas being there, he'd forgotten that he probably wouldn't be there long.

"I mean... Yeah, if you want. You could have this bedroom," Dean offered nervously. He was almost sweating. He didn't want to ruin his friendship. Cas just sat there.

"I... can I think about it?" He asked. Dean felt a pit forming in his stomach.

"Yeah, of course. Take all the time you need. But... I'd really... I'd... like it if you stayed," he said, mentally cursing himself for sounding like such a fool. Cas nodded and stood up.

"Thank you, Dean," Cas said. Dean nodded.

"Uh, do you need any help?" He asked. Cas shook his head.

"Okay. Well, I'll be in the bedroom if you need me," Dean said, and when Cas nodded, he turned and retreated to his bedroom, where he promptly began pacing. What was he thinking? He barely knew this man, there was no way he would agree to stay! Dean ran his hand through his hair and sat down on the bed. Whatever. He had asked, and now all he could do was wait.

The next morning, Cas still hadn't given him an answer. Dean felt like he was about to explode as he opened up the bakery.

"What's up my bitches?" Charlie asked as she walked in.

"Dean asked me to officially move in," Cas said conversationally. Charlie glanced up at Dean.

"Really?" She asked. Dean nodded.

"Did you accept?" She asked Cas.

"I haven't decided yet," he told her.

"Well I'm not gonna lie, I hope you stay," Charlie said, smiling. Cas nodded.

Dean was extremely distracted the whole day, finding himself watching Cas even more than usual. Cas had, at this point, taken over a table at the back, just sitting and listening, occasionally chiming in on whatever Dean and Charlie were talking about.

"Hey! Dean!" Dean looked around sharply from where he'd been watching Cas.

"What?" He asked. Charlie rolled her eyes.

"Were you listening to anything I just said?" She asked him.

"I'm sorry, I just-"

"Distracted by the view?" Charlie asked sarcastically. Dean blushed.

"What view?" Cas asked. Dean glanced at Charlie.

"A hot guy paused outside," Charlie said. Cas nodded.

"Oh. Nice," he said. Dean shot Charlie a grateful look.

Later that night, when Dean and Cas were getting ready to sleep, Cas spoke.

"Dean?" He asked.

"Yeah?" Dean replied nervously, watching Cas.

"I... I want to stay," Cas said, smiling. Dean grinned and it took all his self control not to hug Cas.

"That's great!" He said. Cas nodded.

"I... I suppose you'll be wanting the other bedroom now," Dean said, his face falling slightly.

"Well not if you don't want me to, it was your brother's room after all, I would understand," Cas said.

"No, I insist. Its been empty for too long," Dean said. Cas nodded.

"Okay," he said.

"Do you want help getting back to the room?" Dean asked. Cas hesitated.

"No, I should be fine," he said. Dean nodded absentmindedly before remembering that Cas couldn't see him.

"Sure. Okay. Well... thanks for deciding to stay," Dean said. Castiel nodded and made his way out of the room. Dean sighed as he closed the door behind Cas. He knew it was necessary, but it still hurt, even if Cas was just a room over. Dean looked around his room for a second before crawling into his bed, trying not to look at the spot where he couldn't help but feel that Cas belonged in.