Chapter Twenty Three

All three of us sit on the bed, Troye and I at the head with Connor at the foot. A minute passes. Then five. Then fifteen.

"Alright, so is no one going to say anything?" I ask the two newly-mates.

"I don't know what to say." Connor says, scratching the back of his neck.

"Literally anything would be great right about now." I tell him.

Connor sighs. "I don't want to work for Nick, but I kind of don't have a choice."

"W-what does that mean?" Troye asks.

Connor shakes his head. "It's hard to explain, but look, how about you ask me whatever you want to know and I'll answer."

Troye stares at him for a minute, unsure. Connor leans in closer, staring into his eyes. "I know you don't really know me and you don't know if you should trust me, I understand. Completely. But I will never hurt you."

"W-why not?" Troye asks curiously.

Connor gives him a small smile. "You're my mate. My omega. My job is to protect you from harm, not cause it."

Troye stares at him, debating on whether or not to believe him. Finally, he nods. "What's your favorite color?"

Connor grins at him. "Blue."

And so on they continue getting to know each other and Troye continues getting comfortable with Connor. He doesn't even notice when I leave after half an hour.

"Hey, love." Louis smiles at me when I walk back in the living room. The other three turn around, greeting me with smiles of their own. Ashton, Luke, Michael, and Calum are also still in here. "Where are they at?" Louis asks, confused when he doesn't see them standing behind me.

"Getting to know each other better." I nod back in the direction they are. "Felt weird intruding on that kind of conversation."

Niall nods and opens his arms, pouting out me until I give in, rolling my eyes playfully and walking over to sit by him.

"They're actually really cute together." Michael says, nodding towards where Connor and Troye are when everyone looks at him. Everyone nods in agreement.

"Harry?" Troye asks, looking around, as him and Connor walk into the living room. His eyes land on me. "When'd you leave us?"

"Over half an hour ago," I say, watching as Troye's eyes widen.

"Seriously?" He asks. I nod. "Why'd you leave?"

"Because you guys were getting to know each other." I shrug.

"Oh." He replies, rubbing the back of his neck.

"You guys can come sit down," Louis speaks up, nodding to the free space between me and the arm of the couch. Troye walks over and sits by me, Connor following and sitting between Troye and the arm.

"So what exactly do you plan to do?" Liam asks, from on the floor in front of Louis. Niall's between me and louis, while Zayn is on the floor between me and Niall.

Connor sighs, looking at his lap. After a beat, he looks up at Liam, admitting. "I don't know."

"W-why are you working for Nick?" Troye asks quietly, his eyes flickering up at Connor and then around the room nervously.

"Long story. Let's just say he helped me a long time ago and he hasn't let me forget it. Said if I helped him with this now, he'd let it go. If not, well." Connor explains, shrugging his shoulders, a look in his eyes I can't decipher.

My Alphas all share a look, before Zayn speaks up, eyebrows raised. "You, an alpha, are scared of a beta?

Connor turns to Zayn, staring into his eyes seriously. "I am. And you guys should be too." Then Connor stands up. "I should go before he gets suspicious." He turns to Troye. "I don't suppose there's a chance you'll come with me, huh?"

Troye shakes his head. "I'm not leaving Harry. Or Ashton." Ashton looks over at Troye, surprised to hear him say his name, and a grin stretches across his face. Troye gives him a small smile in return. Connor lets out another sigh, nodding his head. He kisses Troye on the cheek and begins walking to the door.

"Hey, Connor?" I call out, right as before he gets out of sight.

He turns around, one eyebrow raised. "Yes?"

Everyone stares at me as I say, "Back in their house," I nod towards my Alphas. "Were you the one who had opening the window in the bedroom and threw the rock through the kitchen window?"

He stares at me for minute and then shakes his head, offering a small smile before he turns and disappears. A moment later I hear the sound of the sound of the door shutting.

Vote and comment ((:
Twitter/instagram: toplinson_haz
Tumblr: larrylashtonmalum