Chapter 7: "Reunited"

"Ouch!"

Malachi shouted, clutching his wrist. We've been training all day, and being that he's never used a bow prior to our training, his hand started to cramp up.

"Let's take a break."

I suggested, tossing my quiver on the ground and rummaging through my bag for some food. I threw an apple towards Malachi, who caught it out of surprise, and sat on the grass.

"You're getting better, but your arm strength is lacking. Some real weight training could help."

I reviewed the week's report. I've been teaching Malachi for about 4 days, and he was making progress, slowly. He could barely pull the string back enough to shoot even a minuscule arrow, not to mention his attention span lasts about as much as a fish.

"I'll keep trying, I guess. I'm pretty sure weight training would hurt a lot though."

He laughed, lying back on the grass and picking leaves up. Malachi tossed them into the air, watching as the maple leaf gently floated within it.

"Work hurts. Everyone knows that."
"Mhm.. I've never really worked much."
"Right, your brother is the Lord."
"Well, no. I have my own kind of work."
"Elaborate."

I offered a grin, watching as he sat up, his face had a sort of bright glow.

"Well after my er- existence, I became a trader. I organize the trading routes and decide which towns and villages we share materials, crops, and other items in exchange for their goods."
"That's kinda cool. Sounds like fun."
"It's easier then doing this.."

Malachi laid back on the grass, his head resting near my left hand.

"It's tough. You get used to living, and then you have to do another kind of living."
"What exactly does that mean?"

I eyed him, a devilish grin popped up under his scarf.

"You mean you don't know? Someone from the village has probably told you, right?"
"Not exactly. What are you implying?"

I was bewildered, shaking my head.

Now that you mention it, no one has really told me anything in the week I've been here.

I sighed, closing my eyes tightly, only to find that when I opened them he was right in front of me, stretching out his hand.

"I want to show you something."

He said, I grasped his open palm, pulling myself up and allowing him to walk me to his destination. He didn't let go of my wrist the entire way.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Here we are!"

Malachi yelled, pointing at a particularly large lilac and pearly white house. Trees had overgrown near it, but it remained untouched by most nature unlike the other houses in the village.

"Where are we?"

I asked, nodding my head at the surroundings. I took it all in, smelling the fresh air you could only find at the top of a hill like this one.

"My mom's house. I moved here 15 years ago. But I wasn't exactly, alive."
"What?!"

He left me with so many questions, dragging me inside the house and giving me a grand tour.