Chapter 26

At around 5, I change out of my casual jeans and t-shirt and throw on a simple red dress and converse. I'm so nervous about meeting Cameron. I know Ethan already likes me but I have no idea about her. If she's anything like the twins then I know I will love her but a pit still lies in the bottom of my stomach. I've hardly even been home for dinner lately and I know it bothers my family especially because this is my last year before college. I don't even want to think about it. My mom forced me to apply to Princeton so I could be close to home and it is my dream school but with an English teacher that gives me B-'s I'm not sure if I can keep up with my 4.0 GPA.
When I go downstairs, my mom is reading a "How to know your kids" book on the couch.
"Mom I'm going out for dinner tonight. I should be back in a couple of hours." She looks at me and sighs a disappointed sigh.
"Bri, you've been going out so much lately. Are you sure you aren't depressed? According to my book, a teenager leaving home a lot is the biggest sign of depression."
"What? No of course I'm not depressed. I just...I have a date tonight and I really like this guy." I'm hoping my lie is convincing and it seems to have fooled her because she sits up and smiles.
"Aw, my baby girl has a date!" She squeals.
"So, I'll be back in a couple of hours?"
"Yes sweetheart. Have fun!" Well that was awkward.
Grayson lets me drive my own car to his apartment since he was busy with dinner. I stupidly decided to take the main route to his house which is in the middle of traffic. It's now 6:10 and I am getting anxious about being on time. At about 6:20 the roads are somewhat cleared and if everything goes as planned I can be at Grayson's around 6:30.

Once I get there, Ethan excitedly answers the door.
"Brielle! Did you get stuck in city traffic like I did? It's nothing compared to where I live in New York City but still annoying." I laugh along with him and he leads me to the kitchen where Cameron and Grayson are cooking and laughing. Once again, I laugh at the memory of me overreacting and thinking he was on a date with her. She notices me and immediately introduces herself.
"You must be Brielle, I'm Cameron." Her voice is a lot deeper than I expected but still sweet and I shake her hand.
"Dinner should be ready in a few, I set your place next to Grayson if that's okay."
"Of course! Thank you for inviting me. I'm so happy to meet you." I realize how hard I am trying and Grayson realizes too and laughs at me. I wish I wasn't so awkward. It's not like he's my boyfriend's sister or anything so I don't know why I'm acting so strange.
    Once we are all seated at the table, Grayson places his hand on my thigh and I start to relax a little more.
"So," Cameron begins, "how did you guys meet?"
"School," Grayson says and I immediately overlap him.
"College," I say correcting him.
"Wow you look so young." I begin panicking on the inside but Grayson squeezes my thigh.
"Yeah, I skipped 3rd grade," I laugh. I notice Ethan giving Grayson and I a weird look but he decides to stay out of it and I am thankful.
"This sauce is really good," I say changing the subject.
    After dinner, Cameron opens a bottle of dessert wine as Ethan complains about having to go back to New York City.
"Brielle, I am telling you, don't become a lawyer!" he complains exaggerating.
"You're a lawyer?" I ask surprised after taking a sip from my wine.
"Yeah, I go to NYU Law. I actually like law school it's just a ton of work."
"I'm so glad I chose architecture. I love it," Cameron joins in on the conversation.
"Brielle, you should see her house. She designed the architecture herself and it's so beautiful," Grayson informs me.
"What are you majoring in?" Cameron asks me.
"I'm not exactly sure. Maybe something in the medical field. I have a while until then." She gives me a confused look and I realize the mistake I made. "Hypothetically speaking," I say as an attempt to save myself.

    Once I help clean off the table and put the dishes away it's 9:00 and I decide it would probably be best to head home. I hug Cameron and Ethan and thank them for inviting me once again and Grayson drags me into his room.
"I hope we didn't bore you with all that college talk," he says grabbing my waist.
"Of course not. I enjoy your siblings."
"I wish you didn't have to go." He makes a pouty face and I am tempted to stay longer but it's a school night and I have homework.
"Maybe if my English teacher didn't assign so much homework," I tease him. He kisses me softly on the lips and I smile into the sweet kiss. He walks me out to my car and waves until I'm completely out of the parking garage. I think back to all the lies I told tonight and I don't know how long we will be able to keep up with the lies. Ethan is the only one that knows the entire truth but I keep getting myself trapped in an even bigger lie and I know it will soon blow up in my face.