Chapter 31

Great, another party that I don't want to go to. I can already predict myself getting shit faced and making some horrible decisions, after all, I did just get over a breakup- or whatever that was. Amanda will probably be hooking up with Brice in one of the many bedrooms and the same goes for Teala and Jack. The focus should be on Brent anyway so I guess that's what I'll do.
"Brielle, I'm going to need you to hold back my hair when I start vomiting, okay?" Amanda's voice interrupts my thoughts.
"Only if you hold mine."
"How about neither of you guys drink." Jack says as if it's an obvious solution.
"Um Jack, there are plenty of reasons to get wasted," Amanda responds.
"Exactly."
"I mean, Brielle just got over a breakup and-"
"Oh my god," Jack interrupts.
"What?" I ask.
"Get over it."
"Excuse me?" I scoff at his lack of empathy meanwhile Teala sits in the passenger seat with a smug look on her face.
"That was so long ago. I love you but I'm so tired of hearing about it. Find someone better. Seriously, he isn't worth your time." I know he's right but I won't give him the satisfaction so as soon as he pulls up to the Rivera house, I jump out of the car. I walk inside and head straight for the liquor table already filled with bottles and bottles of alcohol.
"Brielle!" I hear Brent's familiar voice and turn around and embrace him in a hug.
"Happy birthday! You're legal!"
"Thanks so much for coming Bri!" He yells over the music as he hugs me tighter. A jock runs by and grabs his arm and takes Brent with him towards the backyard.
"See you later?" He yells and I nod as Jack, Teala, and Amanda make an entrance. Amanda walks straight past me to find Brice and Jack and Teala go upstairs.
Everyone is either dancing sexually or playing some sort of drinking game, neither of which look fun to me, so I go and sit in the Rivera's home theater. I switch back and forth between apps until I get to my recent contacts. My finger lingers over Grayson's name debating whether or not to call him. I know I shouldn't but I miss his voice. His real, soothing voice, not his stern teacher voice. Before I can make a decision, jack's photo comes up and my phone starts buzzing.
"Bored already?" I ask as I pick up.
"No I was uh- where are you?"
"Bathroom," I lie. I don't want him to think I'm still pouting over Grayson.
"Well, come to the backyard, we are starting the bonfire."
"Ok." I put my phone in my purse and take a deep breath before rejoining everyone outside.
It's already dark out and the fire looks beautiful. Amanda runs up to me at full speed and hands me a red cup.
"Drink," she says handing me the cup.
"Amanda I-"
"No!" she yells cutting me off, " you've been so boring tonight." I debate arguing but take the cup just to get her to leave me alone. I put the cup to my lips and I see Jack eyeing me. To piss him off, I chug the entire cup and grab another. By the time I'm on my third, I sit down on a log near the bonfire and roast some marshmallows. A tipsy Brent sits down next to me and throws his arm over my shoulders.
"Having fun yet?" He whispers into my ear and I smile a small and shy smile.
"I can say that I am."
"Good. I'm glad." He pats me on the back and gets up to go talk to more of his friends. I go back inside and find Amanda dancing so I decide to dance with her for a song or two while having another cup of whatever she gave me. After three songs, Brice calls us into their excessively large kitchen to sing happy birthday. All of us crowd into the kitchen and sing a very slurred version of happy birthday. Everyone cheers for a while but then goes back to partying in different rooms.

Not knowing what to do with myself, I go upstairs to try and find a bathroom. After knocking on many doors that don't lead to a bathroom, I find myself in what I'm assuming to be Brent's bedroom.