Chapter 16

It's now Friday and Jack is still teasing me about throwing up on his shoes. He also won't stop talking about what almost went down and it's so annoying. He keeps talking about "finishing the deed". I was under the influence of alcohol and had no idea what I was doing. If I were sober I wouldn't have done that. I only want Grayson.
    I am walking to class when Teala starts walking next to me.
"Hey Bri." There is something off about her tone and it gives me chills.

"Hi Tea."

"I'm surprised you are still with Jack..." Ok now i'm confused.

"I'm sorry, why wouldn't I be?" I have no idea what is going on.

"I just thought you wouldn't be considering your new boyfriend picked you up from my party the other night." She stops walking and looks me dead in the eyes.

"That wasn't my-" I am horrified and have no idea how to cover it up but she cuts me off anyway.

"Save it. We all know Jack deserves better and should be with someone who truly cares about him." It takes me a few seconds but then I realize she is referring to herself.

"But he loves me..." my voice trails off and I don't sound so convincing.

"We'll see about that. You have two options: 1, you break up with Jack yourself or 2, I tell him about mystery man." I am left speechless because I did not expect to be stabbed in the back by someone I called my friend.

"Okay well see ya." She flips her obvious hair extensions and walks away. How could this happen? Why would he get out of his car and be so careless? My eyes fill with tears and I don't know what to do. I run to the person I know can help me through this. I enter the English class and as soon as he sees me Grayson realizes something is wrong.

"Brielle are you okay?" He's genuinely concerned and I don't know how to explain the mess I got myself into. I let out a breath and begin to explain the story. His facial expression doesn't change and I don't know whether I should be relieved or worried.

"So she knows about us?" he asks with his head in his hands when I'm done explaining what just happened.

"No, she knows there is another guy but she doesn't know who it is." He looks somewhat relieved and then he forces a smile.
"On the bright side you won't be cheating anymore." He can't be serious.

"Before he was my boyfriend he was my childhood best friend and now I am going to lose everything. I knew we shouldn't have gotten together." I cover my face with my hands because I don't want him to see me cry but he removes them.

"Hey, hey, hey. Don't cry. You can fix this. Tell him you love him and all but you work better as friends. I'm sure he would understand."

"No Grayson. It would completely break his heart." I know he is right. Jack either finds out from someone else that I am cheating on him or I tell him we should go back to the way things used to be. The second option seems less painful and I know what I have to do.
*meet me after school at my house. It's important.*
I press send on the text to Jack and let out a deep breath. The rest of the day goes by too fast and I'm not ready for what I have to do. I feel so bad because I know he truly does love me and it hurts me to hurt him.
When he arrives at my house he kisses me on the cheek and I tell him to sit down.
"Jack, I know we have been through so much together and we have been best friends since childhood...and...I. I think we should just be friends." I feel ashamed saying these words. Even though they are partly true I still feel like a coward for not telling him the whole truth.
He buries his head in his hands and for a moment I think he is crying.
"What did I do wrong? I thought everything was going so well..." His voice trails off and I keep my head down.
"I just...I don't know. I miss when we were friends and we didn't always have to know where the other was or what they were doing." He stands up, kisses me on the forehead and walks out of my house without a word. I already know things are going to change and it will never go back to the way it was before. Teala better be happy.