Chapter 9

When I get to my room, I turn on my phone and realize I have a bunch of missed calls and texts from Jack. The drive back here calmed me and I'm not really mad at him anymore for what happened earlier at work. I contemplate calling him back or ignoring him but before I completely make up my mind I find myself calling his number. He answers on the first ring like usual.

"Bri, I am so sorry. Did you get home safely? You know I wouldn't have left you stranded there-" I cut him off before he turns this around on me because I am not in the mood to argue again.

"It's okay Jack. I'm sorry too," I sigh an exaggerated sigh and flop down on my bed.

"How did you end up getting home, babe?" I slightly cringe at the pet name but choose to ignore it.

"My uh...my mom came and picked me up," I lie. I'm not going to tell him that Grayson brought me home. As far as I know he doesn't have any suspicions yet and I would like it to stay that way. It's silent for a few seconds before my laptop dings and I open it to see the notification.

*email from Grayson Dolan@gmail.com* what?

"Jack. I need to catch up on some homework. I'll talk to you later."

"Okay. Bye Bri, text me if anything," he says with a slight sadness in his voice.

I open the email and read it outloud:

"Brielle,

    It's Grayson. I just wanted to see if everything is alright. This is my personal email so feel free to contact me if you ever need anything. I'll always be here.

                -Grayson"

How did he even get my email? Oh right, first day of school information sheets. I hover my the cursor over the reply box but decide to go for it.

"Grayson,

    Im guessing since you used Grayson instead of Mr. Dolan, you are allowing me to call you that outside of school. I fixed everything with Jack. Sorry if I inconvenienced you in anyway. I'll make sure to contact you if I need anything and I appreciate your offer.

                -Brielle"

Usually I would be very bothered with the use of my full name but when Grayson uses it, it has an unfamiliar ring and something inside me ignites. I stare out the window and find myself thinking about his perfect smile. I notice myself smiling but slap myself out of it. Jack is supposed to be my distraction. Why isn't it working?

                                 ***

The next day I completely avoid Jack because everything is so out of place and dysfunctional right now. We are already rocky and one little thing could start another fight and make everything ten times worse. When I get to my English class I feel different. I feel as if I am happy and excited to be there instead of the usual angry and annoyed mood I'm in when I walk through the door. Grayson smiles his familiar smile and I am relieved that it's not awkward between us. I walk to the back of the class and now that things are fine between Grayson and I, I wish I had chosen a seat closer to his desk. I take out my notebook and laptop and wait for class instructions.

    "Okay class, today will be a study period so everyone can catch up on work they have missed. I'll be at my desk if anyone needs anything."

Right after he says that, he looks at me and sits down. I hate study periods. I am usually on time with assignments so I always end up bored without anything to do. Just as I am about to walk up to him, a girl named Madison stands up and walks over. She's is wearing a tight crop top and her shorts are so small, I am sure I can see her ass hanging out.

    "Um Mr. Dolan. I was just wondering if you had any extra credit I could do," she leans over the desk and I try and listen closely but between the sound of students talking and the AC blowing I can't make out the rest of their conversation. She stands next to him twirling her hair around her finger and obnoxiously chewing gum. This whole setup is annoying me and I don't know why. The only other thing I manage to hear is Grayson telling her to stay after class. Oh. I feel my heart sink and I don't understand why I am so affected by something so dumb. I decide to edit a paper for my History class for the rest of the period and when the bell rings I take a bit longer to pack so I can eavesdrop on the conversation between Madison and Grayson.

    "Mr. Dolan, if you want I can totally eat my lunch in here with you while we discuss the extra credit assignment," she says in her annoyingly high pitched voice. I don't even want to hear his response so I grab my things and rush out of the classroom. I feel his eyes on me but keep speed walking until I know I am out of his sight. Does he tell all of his students to stay after class to "discuss assignments"? I feel like an idiot. I was just starting to trust him but here we are, back to square one.