Chapter 4

"Are you okay?" Amanda's voice cuts into my thoughts while I sit at the lunch table next to her. When I look at her she looks clearly concerned.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I respond and attempt a reassuring smile, looking in her direction but not in her eyes.

"I've known you long enough to know when something's wrong, Bri." I finally look her in the eyes, and think of what I'll say. Jack is my best guy friend. He's great, but Amanda is my childhood friend who never left my side. With Jack I'm silly and if necessary, although I hate doing it, I could lie to him. With Amanda it's always serious and I'm like a transparent being that she knows the every emotion of. I decide what I'm gonna say. It's not lying it's just not telling the whole story.

"It's just not a great day for me." I say and shrug as if it's not that important. I know that she wants to dig but she can see the wall that I'm mentally building between us and she'll back off whether she likes it or not. Sorry Amanda.

"Fine. Have you heard of the apparently 'so hot' teacher? What is it... Dolphin... Dylan..." I roll my eyes, then interrupt her.

"Dolan. And yes, I've heard of him. He's actually the source of my bad mood so I want to avoid that topic," I pick at my food while explaining. She leans in as if I just told her some sort of scandalous gossip.

"Spill," she commands.

"It's literally nothing, I laughed in class and he literally called me out and made me stay after a few minutes."

"What were you laughing at?" she questioned.

"That's not important, it's just that he was being a hard ass and that's annoying."

"Hard ass? Someone else told me it looked firm, but they didn't mention hard," I roll my eyes at her perverted comment.

"You know what I mean."

"Do I? Was it hard like-" she continues the perversion.

"God Amanda, shut up." She laughs at my frustration. The cafeteria suddenly grows quiet and Amanda glances back.

"Speak of the devil," she whispers. I glance back to see Gra- Mr Dolan standing by the cafeteria doors monitoring the students, who are also monitoring him.We briefly make eye contact so I turn around and return to picking at the food. Amanda smirks at me and I roll my eyes. This is going to be a long year.