Chapter 27

"Wakey wakey eggs and bakey." I slowly open my eyes and see my mom hovering above my bed with a breakfast tray. I sit up and see my brother and dad in my doorway.
"Happy birthday Brielle," Cody says and I smile at him.
"I feel like I'm getting so emotional...my baby daughter is 18." My dad pretends to wipe a tear and I lightly laugh.
"Big day," my mom says, "so eat up and get dressed!" My family exits my room and I throw my head back. I didn't forget that it was my birthday, I just forgot I was turning 18. December 21, 1997. My phone is buzzing from notifications from my friends and all the random kiss ups that pretend to be my friends. One message stands out to me and I smile and blush as I read it.
*Happy 18th baby. You know what that means ;)*
I smile to myself as I think about the possibilities of things that could now happen.
     I'm guessing my mom has planned another family day or what not and I can only imagine the tortuous things my mom has planned for us. There is only so much we can do since my birthday is during the winter so we are usually stuck inside the house watching movies as a family or playing board games. Once I shower and get dressed in warm clothes, I go downstairs to find my family with Jack, Amanda, and Madison.
"I invited Madison, Bri. I hope you don't mind." He blushes a little and although I don't like her, if it makes him happy to have her here then I don't really mind.
"I was thinking ice skating?" My mom asks hopeful.
"Yes. I love skating." I am so thankful my mom, for once, chose something I actually like doing and I am happy she invited my friends along. I had never really enjoyed throwing parties for my birthday and being the center of attention so this was perfect. I get into Amanda's car with Jack and my family and Madison take my dad's to the ice rink.
"I didn't know your brother was into her," Amanda says giggling.
"Aw don't be jealous Amanda," Jack teases as I burst out laughing. She leans over and punches his arm.
"That was so long ago!" She laughs along with us and I am happy we seem to be acting normal again.
Once we get to the ice rink, Cody and Madison immediately get on the ice and hold hands as they skate. She is struggling and gripping him so tight and he is doing his best to try and keep her steady. As much as I hate to admit it, they actually look kind of cute. At least she's away from Grayson. My parents also go right onto the ice as well as Amanda and the only people left are Jack and I.
"Well, what are you waiting for?" Jack's voice cuts into my thoughts.
"Oh, I don't know. I haven't been skating in a while I guess."
"Really? I went the other day with-" he cuts himself off and I can tell he feels bad about what he started to say.
"Who?" I ask but I'm not sure I want him to answer.
"Teala..." he answers looking down.
"Oh." I begin to step on the ice but slip as soon as both my skates touch it.
"Woah woah woah." Jack grabs me from under my arms and helps me up and I feel so embarrassed.
"Jack, I think you should help me." He slightly laughs at me but puts his arms around my shoulders and I put my arm around his torso to steady myself. We are almost at a lap when Amanda quickly skates past us.
"Ooh I'm telling Teala!" she yells looking back. My eyes widen but I look at Jack and he rolls his eyes while giggling. I almost forgot about the whole blackmail ultimatum situation and I start to back off but why should I? We are just friends, once again, and I have made that very clear.
    I get the hang of it and start to skate off on my own but Jack still lingers behind me to make sure I'm not going to fall.
"You guys are the slowest skaters here!" Amanda whines as she skates next to us.
"Well I wouldn't be if it weren't for this one," Jack says gesturing to me. I playfully swat his arm and he pretends to be wounded.
"Let's go eat." My parents are already eating in their own booth and Cody and Madison are in their own in the corner. We grab one somewhat in the middle of the restaurant area and I order cheese fries.
"How do you feel about midterms coming up after break?" Amanda asks and I gasp.
"Holy shit! I didn't even realize it was so soon."
"Me either. I'm probably going to be stressed about it all vacation."
"Same."
"So Jack, how are things with Teala going?" I choke on my drink but neither of them seem to notice.
"Good I guess. She's really into me but I don't know if I see it going anywhere. I don't think I have strong enough feelings for her."
"I say give it a shot. What do you think Bri?"
"Yeah sure, give it a shot," I say through clenched teeth.
   After a few more laps of skating, I decide to head back so we can all have cake at the house. Even though my birthday is in December, I still insist on having ice cream cake for my birthdays and everyone always teases me about it. I feel awkward when everyone sings happy birthday but smile for the video anyway to make my mom happy. At around 9:30, Cody and my Dad bring Madison home. I haven't slept over Amanda's in a while and decide that it would be fun to just hang out and relax on the first official day of winter vacation.
     Amanda has to drop Jack off since she drove him and once we get to his house I hop out of the car to hug him. He squeezes me tightly and I smile.
"Happy birthday, Bri. I hope we made it fun." I thank him and watch him go inside as Amanda drives away. I'm so happy things are back to normal.