Coming Home

Jane's POV
***
I'm avoiding my house. I don't wanna go home. I'm can't go up and down the stairs with crutches.

I am staying at Ma's house for now.

I can't stop thinking about Maura. I doubt that she feels the same, but I think about her every night and day.

I don't know how long it will take to become friends with her. Brady was like another little brother to me. I have two, but Brady didn't deserve to die. He outranked me based on skill and the fact that this was his second deployment.

I got Maura's number and we text. Nothing much other than asking her about my major knee reconstruction surgery recovery and stories about Brady.

We decided that today, we would eat out.

"So Jane, have you gotten flashbacks yet?" She asked me as I fiddled with my beer cap.

"I have. They're about a fight that nearly took everyone's life." I don't make eye contact.

"You're lying." "No I'm not."

"Lieutenant Rizzoli-" "I told you to call me Jane."

"Jane," She leans towards me and I look up, "tell me the truth."

I sighed before speaking, "I miss him. I can't go home because I'm afraid that I'll find the journals he gave for me to read. I don't want to have an emotional break down."

Maura looked at me for a moment than stood up, "Come. I'll go home with you and we'll read those journals."

I nodded.

Today, it's slow. I miss Maura. I miss coach. I miss Boston and Athens. I can't leave for another six months.

However, I made a new friend. Her name is Jane Rizzoli. She's about as old as Maur. I wish they could meet. They'd make a cute couple.

Until then, I have a platoon to run.

Commander Lieutenant Bradyn Isles.

Maura cried as we read the entries at my home. We were on my bed.

Maura and I spent the rest of the day and late into the night reading and laughing at Brady's remarks.

I came home and I think that I have made a new friend.