Chapter 16: Where Do We Stand Now?

I looked at the dress hanging in my closet. This dress was totally me. It was pure luck finding it. The color and design was simple yet bold at the same time. Nobody would have the same dress as me because the girls at my school were all about the high fashion. And plus, you didn’t really see green at a Winter Formal. The main colors were pale blues, whites and such. Everybody knows I wasn’t one to go with the flow. Nobody had seen my dress, which I’m grateful for. I wanted it to be a surprise to everybody.

Opening my eyes, I looked into the mirror. There stood a beautiful girl with a rockstar dress on.  The dress hugged her upper arms and the bright lime green stripes hugged her midsection perfectly. It had  a sweetheart neckline and showed the perfect amount of cleavage. The dress stopped mid-thigh to show her toned legs. Her sparkly lime green shoes stood out and completed the outfit. I looked ready to party. Smiling, I gave my wavy hair a flip before grabbing my clutch. I opened my door and looked at Rina. She looked at my outfit and squealed. She grabbed my hand and ran towards the stairs. Before actually going down them, she gave me a small hug.

“Make him drool,” she whispered in my ear.

Smirking, I made my way down the stairs quietly. Ryne had his back to me as he waited. I snuck up behind him and feeling daring, I wrapped my arms around his torso.

“Hey, you,” I said into his back.

Hearing the deep rumble of his chuckle, I smiled. Ryne turned around but still managed to stay in my arms. His face lit up as he took my outfit in. “Wow…you look breathtaking. This dress…is completely you. So Zoe.”  He chuckled as he leaned back to look at me even more. “Really loving the shoes,” he commented.

“Thanks, you don’t look so bad yourself.” I told him and I wasn’t lying. His lime green tie was just perfect. His deep black suit made the green vest pop out even more.

“Wait until you see this,” he said as he broke out of my embrace. He pulled up his pant legs to reveal his socks.

“You even got lime green socks. Nice,” I laughed.

“Yup,” he said with a full smile and brought me closer once more. His forehead brushed against mine. “I’m really glad I’m going to this dance with you,” he whispered.

“As friends,” I reminded him as our lips connected. A faint flash flickered and I pulled away from Ryne as I opened my eyes. Sure enough, there stood my parents with a camera. Clearing my throat, I stepped away from Ryne. “Hey,” I greeted them.

“Oh don’t let us bother you,” My mother smirked.

Giving my mom a stern look, I stepped even farther away from Ryne. Ryne just switched from his left foot to his right foot.

“Can we get another picture of the good friends?” My mother stressed the last word.

“Yes, you may.” I hissed. “Just let me go get the flower thingy,” I said before I gave Ryne a small smile before disappearing into the kitchen. I didn’t take too long because I didn’t trust my parents with Ryne, alone in the same room. “I guess I’m supposed to pin this to you,” I announced unsure.

Ryne smiled and stepped closer to me. As I pinned the flower to his jacket, my parents were snapping pictures at lightning speed.

“Look, I’m sorry about the kiss earlier,” I told him quietly so my parents couldn’t hear.

“Don’t be,” he told me with a smile. He placed his hand over mine and looked me straight in the eye.

The doorbell ringing had us looking up. “That’s probably Louis,” I said softly as I tore my hand away from his. With one final look into his eyes, I stepped away and went to the door.