Chapter 7; We Had A Great Time in Bed

"Don't put words up in my mouth,

I didn't steal your boyfriend" 

- Ashlee Simpson, 'Boyfriend' ---------------------   Eleanor didn’t approach me the next day. In fact, it took me a good two days to see her again.

I had to work the night that the entire scene went down. I normally try and work as much as possible because it’s not like I have an extremely active social life that involves me going out every night and I’m a poor college student. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, most people don’t even go into the bookstore unless they’re buying presents for family members or the family is there visiting. And every one and awhile someone would come in and buy a bunch of shot glasses for a party that night.

It was one of those slow nights. Sometimes it’s good having a slow night because you don’t have to do anything and sometimes it sucks because that means that you have nothing to do until anyone shows up.

Lucky for me, it was me and Niall that were working that night. Niall’s this Irish kid that’s in the grade beneath me. He’s also one of the cutest people that I’ve ever met. He has this blonde hair and big blue eyes and he’s always smiling about something. Plus he always had an idea for something that we could do when we had slow nights at work. That night he was on the phone trying to convince the pizza place that he would trade them ten shot glasses and bags of candy for one free pizza, which was when Melissa walked in.

I have no problem with Melissa. I like to pretend that we’re friends by association, because she’s better friends with Eleanor than she is with me. Melissa’s really tall and has this long, wavy brown hair and green eyes and has always kind of reminded me of a mermaid. We were typically pretty friendly with each other until that night when she didn’t return my wave as she sat her sweatpants down on the check-out counter.

“Hi, Melissa,” I said, thinking that maybe she just didn’t see me wave.

“Um, hi, Hunter,” she said awkwardly, avoiding making eye contact with me.

Squash. Were her and I fighting about something? I tried to avoid scuttles with people. “Is everything okay?” I asked her.

Melissa pushed some of her mermaid-hair out of her face before finally meeting her green eyes with my brown ones. “Hunter, I can’t believe that you’re cheating with Eleanor’s boyfriend,” she gave me a stern look.

What? “What?”

“Hey, Hunter, does pepperoni sound good?” Niall shouted from across the room.

“Yeah, sure, Niall, whatever,” I gave him a thumbs up before turning back to the real problem at stake. “What the hell do you mean? I’m not doing anything with Louis. Eleanor’s, like, my best friend! I would never do anything like that!” I exclaimed to Melissa.

She gave me a disapproving look like she didn’t believe me. “Oh yeah? Then why is there a picture of you in his bed?” Why was there a picture of me in his bed? I didn’t remember any pictures being taken. Melissa whipped out her cell phone and shoved it in my face. Squash. Sure enough, it was a picture of Louis and I in his bed together, obviously taken from the morning a few days ago. Not to mention that I was making a straight-up Jenna Marbles face while Louis was laughing at something, presumably my face. Damn, whoever it was couldn’t have taken a better picture?

Harry. That little shit. It must have been him. He was the only one not in the picture and Louis and I were never alone in his bed together.

“See?” Melissa said in an accusing tone, waving the phone in my face. “What are you doing in his bed?”