Chapter 2 Courts and Sorrows

The son of the Earl of Wigmodia traveled once a week to the Duchy of Harzburg to visit his beloved Ardith. Every time she waited for him standing by her bedchamber's window and it was as soon as she spotted the approaching carriage, she ran down to meet him. There was no doubt he was the love of her life.

Since the very first day Ardith met Edmund, her life changed from gray to pink acquiring a different and fantastic meaning. Before, from dawn till dusk, there was a sober grinding mixture of grief and despair that subdued the poor lady into a miserable life. But finally, the beautiful young girl found the reason to smile again: Edmund.

Roughly a few years older than Ardith, Edmund was very attractive, his bearing elegant and imposing. A pair of expressive blue eyes contrasted with his dark straight hair that he wore most of a time in a neat and sleek low ponytail. Resembling a Greek god, his tall and muscular body reflected the time he spent training in the arts of war as the herald of King Henry II, who by that time had no heirs to the throne. That made him one of the most desired men amongst the women in the Germanic aristocracy. All these physical attributes and a charming personality made Ardith fell deeply in love with him and it was love at first sight for both of them.

It had been a month after the young lord spoke to Lord Aelderic revealing his intentions on courting Ardith and duke put no objections on giving his contentment for he knew Edmund was the ideal candidate to marry his beloved daughter and make her happy. The courting flowed as accustomed; weekly visits were complemented by pleasant talks in the garden where they shared moments of a sweet innocent idyll. There were times when the couple leisurely strolled in the woodlands nearby the mansion, or rode their horses by the shallow streams that bordered the forest by the mountain skirts and where Edmund declared his love to the duchess. "My dearest Ardith, I love you like no other mortal ever loved a woman before."

Edmund kissed her forehead with tenderness then he kissed the tip of her nose and her lips. The woman shivered with keenness in his arms, spellbind by the sweetness of the moment, the lady was certain that no one could be gladder than her in the entire world and that she would soon become Edmund's wife.

Things were so different now, finally, she was living the life she dreamt, overflowing with love and joy, was the reason to see this new life in a such a wonderful way, everything having a true significance for this lady. She recalled, smiling to herself, fingers lingering on the strings of the harp, a time when playing the instrument mortified Her. Eyes closed, the harp standing between her half opened legs, resulted a plentiful activity. For years it had been only Ardith, her father and the huge gilded instrument brought from Israel. Tortuous the melodies played as memories tore her heart to think of her passed away mother who taught her to play the chord musical instrument. Now, the young duchess, proud of her talents with the harp, spent hours playing it for Edmund every time he came.

One beautiful morning Ardith stood by the window waiting for her adored one to arrive, however, this time he didn't come with the accustomed escort

One beautiful morning Ardith stood by the window waiting for her adored one to arrive, however, this time he didn't come with the accustomed escort. Several chariots filed into the Cuthberth's lands flanked by an entourage of soldiers. Her stomach knotted cold, elation vanished foreseeing this armed troupe as a terrible omen.

The woman rushed down the stairs and stopped short realizing who unexpected visitors in the main hall were, all of them important and political personages from provinces and counties from in and outside the Saxon region, being Harzburg a neutral duchy within the realm. Body language wasn't exactly colloquial, sternness and a great tension was perceived in the air. That meant only one thing: Edmund's visit did not only responded to a weekly lovely appointment, this was something else... and she feared the worst.

Dressed in official garments, Edmund advanced towards his beloved and kissed her hand. "My beautiful Ardith, as fair and pure as a Lily of the Valley of Jerusalem."

"Oh, Edmund I'm always enthralled by your words, but please don't take me as a fool, what is all this? Why are these people here?" Ardith held Ed,und's both hands, her face dropped.

"My dear, I fear that there is a problem in the empire's southern regions. We are here to meet with some Germanic generals on behalf of King Henry II to establish a strategic move on... I promise that I'll meet you in the gardens when the reunion ends. Wait for me there."

"Lord Edmund", one of the generals beckoned upon him and Ardith watched him walk by. It was until now she understood the rank Edmund occupied in the kingdom. He was not only a close a friend of the Royal family, he was the spokesperson on behalf of the king. Despite her feelings, fears or wishes, Edmund had to be in that meeting. With resignation she saw him join the the rest of the leaders, walk into the war room and  close the heavy wooden door behind them. Two guards formed at each side of the room's entrance and it was when overwhelming fear stroke her. Never she asked of political or feudal affairs, that was something she wasn't interested in before, but this time she would give everything in her power to be in those chambers. To understand the gravity of the matters that brought the generals here seemed now imperative to her, because if it resulted in an immediate risk for Edmund's life, that would devastate her and by the tone of the language, the urgency and secrecy, she knew it was nothing good.

Impatiently, the anguished duchess waited for Edmund sitting by the water well, trying to read a little. The book fell off her shaky hands a few times. Once in a while, Orla checked on her, but Ardith was too distraught to converse. Several hours passed and Edmund hadn't come to meet her as he said he would. The nerves overpowered her body and mind... Definitely there was something wrong.

Feeling she had waited for too long, Ardith wasn't able to remain in the garden not knowing what was going on. Aware of her position, she knew well she had to wait, but time raced and it brought no answers with it, only preoccupation. Leaving the book on the well, the woman hurried towards the mansion, determined, thinking of a thousands ways to interrupt the meeting. Fortunately it wasn't necessary. Halfway across the garden, Edmund came walking. Exhilarated, Ardith ran to meet him. "Oh My God, finally! I was dying every minute here. Edmund, please tell me for God's sake, what's happening?"

***What do you think will Edmund tell her? Any idea of what might be happening in the kingdom? What do you think of their relationship?