Chapter 21 Corpses and Incense

A concerned Lord Aelderic watched over her daughter who still lied on her bed while Baron Ascili examined her throughly. The young duchess had improved significantly in the last days and that made things even more difficult to handle now. He pondered it a thousand times, how would he tell his child that her beloved nanny Orla was dead?

It was the day before when her body was found close to the chapel nearby the mansion.
The old woman's face and neck were ripped from one end to another, leaving them hanging by a strip of skin and flesh from the base of the shoulders.

Undoubtedly, the poor woman had suffered an attack of another wild beast. Most likely, the group of men who had gone to search after her, believed that Orla was attacked while she walked to the chapel to pray as usual. The duke was very fond of the faithful servant and deeply regretted her death, even more the terrible way in which she had died.

And funeral arrangements were willing... The bishop would arrive that afternoon to preside immediately the funeral rites. The woman had several days of dead and her body was starting to swell and stink. Everyone in the duchy had heard about the terrible incident and were prompt to attend. The only one who was not aware of the terrible situation yet, was poor Ardith and that was the hardest part of all: to give her the bad news.

Baron Ascili finished examining the young duchess. He was ready to inform Lord Aelderic of her state of health.

"Lord Aelderic, your daughter is still very weak. It seems to me, in my experience, that she has some type of blood illness." The medic's face was severe and so his tone of voice.

"A blood illness Baron Ascili? And what kind of disease is that? Is it curable?" Lord Aelderic sounded very concerned.

"There are several blood diseases Milord. Your daughter suffers of a severe weakness that is caused because of the blood in her body is not healthy. She hasn't appetite lately and that confirms my suspects of her blood's deterioration. That's why she has these long periods of sleepiness and tiredness... Another thing, I've noticed that young Ardith has some lacerations in the base of her neck..." Baron Ascili was explaining but was suddenly interrupted by the duke.

"Lacerations in the base of her neck? What could have been?" Lord Aelderic felt guilty and shocked for his ignorance to such injuries.

"They look like bites... please, take a look.... It's also possible that an animal has bitten or stung her... but she had no temperature or delusions to confirm that." Both men glanced at Ardith neck and saw the two small holes as the medic explained. The duke looked surprised and listened attentively to the healer in his reasoning.

"Well, as far as I know, she has not had fever and hadn't complained of some discomfort. She just has been sleeping more than it is usual. It's been exactly like the last time you came to examining her." Lord Aelderic replied.

"Well, in that case, let's not discard entirely the bite of a filthy animal that might have contaminated her blood.. Some animals are known to cause plagues on people as fleas, lice, rats and even dogs." Baron Ascili explained.

"Do you believe that she could be bitten by a rat?" The duke reacted distressed. He looked with sorrow to his daughter, still sleeping.

"It could be. But the most important thing here is to keep watching on her. The duchess must seek to rest and eat well." Baron Ascili was gathering his paraphernalia and placing it carefully in his leather sack.

"Oh, of course, Baron Ascili. Sure she will do so. I will give instructions to the servants to follow your indications strictly. Thanks Ascili, you can retreat to your usual room if you wish to do so. It's already settled for your comfort." Lord Aelderic was speaking to the healer, but couldn't help look at his daughter so pale and feeble.

"With your permission. If anything is offered, do not hesitate to send for me. I'll see what I can find in my healing books regarding of those tiny wounds. Hopefully, there may be a new treatment that I do not know or remember clearly." Baron Ascili left the room.

Lord Aelderic sat on the bed next to Ardith and kissed her forehead.

The man contemplated his daughter. A tear escaped from his eyes as he looked at her so deteriorated. His chest burned with sadness. She was his only daughter and he'll give everything he possessed to see her smile again.

Lord Aelderic was extremely afflicted. He pitied himself and poor Ardith. Both had been so sad since Lady Edwina died. Then, when Ardith's life was about to change to a lighter shade of color, her fiancé was ordered to go to battle and by that moment his fate was a mystery. And to make the matters even worst, Orla, who was like a second mother to her, had died in such a horrific way.

Ardith opened her eyes slowly. They reflected the heaviness and weakness in her body. There was no doubt that the bite of the huge rat prowling in the castle had ravaged Ardith's luxuriance and vitality. A faint smile drew on the young duchess face when she got to see her father staring at her so tenderly.

"Oh my beloved father! I'm so happy you are here with me." Ardith voice sounded dry and hoarse. She slowly raised her hand to caress her father's face.

"Why I wouldn't be here? You are the light of my eyes?" Lord Aelderic eyes moisten as as he spoke.

"What's wrong father? Why are you looking so sad? I'm going to be better...don't worry for me. I'm sure I'll be fine..." Ardith scanned the room looking for something, or someone. "Father, where is Orla? She didn't come yesterday, neither today? Tell her to come. I want to see my nanny."

The duke took a deep breath and stroke gently his daughter's cheek. The lump formed in his throat didn't allow him to speak. Lord Aelderic took some time to find the appropiate words to tell his beloved child what had happened. he feared of her health.

After a few moments in silence he gathered the strenghts. "My girl... There's something you should know..."

The small Gothic chapel was crowded with the people who had gathered to witness the funeral rites held in honor of Orla Westphalia. The woman's body was placed on a wooden table surrounded by flowers and herbs to ward off the hideous smell of putrefaction emanating from the swollen and greenish corpse. Many wept remembering the goodness of the faithful servant. Those who were invited, and the curious villagers, were sitting on the stone and wood benches inside the church. A quartet of monks chanted hymns in Latin and two children swayed the censers more to chase away the stench of the rotten corpse than to cast away the evil spirits.

Ardith tried to walk assisted by her father who was almost carrying her. She cried a sea of tears and sobbed uncontrollably. The duchess couldn't believe what was happening. Her adored nanny had died in the same horrid manner than the maid in the stables. Everything was like a nightmare, a living and vivid one.

There were only a few steps left to get to the chapel when she spotted Leila in front of her. Her friend came to give her condolences.

"Ardith, oh my friend, I feel so sorry for Orla's death. I know how important she was for you. You must be dismantled." Leila was about to hug her friend, but surprisingly Ardith rejected the embrace pushing Leila back fiercely. The young duchess stood defiantly and stared at the raven haired woman and anger bursted out of her eyes. Ardith felt so distressed, first sobbing and then screaming.

"You're a hypocrite! A filthy assassin! It was you who killed her, Leila! You a damned killer! You murdered Orla!"