Chapter 14 Full Gallop

I

Willows and birches bordered the ancient and gloomy cemetery. Several tombstones raised with solemnity above the green carpet of grass and clovers. As Goeffrey stepped in front of the centuries-old looking tombs, he could not believe his eyes. The inscriptions on the grave stone read the names of Leila Von Dorcha and Lord Bruce Von Dorcha. There was no possible doubt. The members of that family died more than a century ago... Now a question wondered in his head, who was then the woman that the duchess stumbled upon in the woods so badly injured.

The air in the place was heavy to breath. Even in the outsides it smelled like mold and humid dirt. Over Leila's grave the soil was barren, no weeds growing in it. There were no or rosaries placed on the woman's tombstone as accustomed by faith. Only a bunch of dried garlic heads hung and several vials containing what seemed some type of oil remained.

"What's all this? Why are there garlic heads and bottles around the graves?" A puzzled messenger inquired.

"According to ancient beliefs, vampires hate garlic. They cannot stand its healing and benign essence. It is one of the most powerful plants used in sacred rituals... Did you know that leeches die in garlic? Those bottles contain oil and holy water anointed in Jerusalem, hence the land was sprayed to prevent the return of the demon. If you are bitten by a vampire you are in risk of becoming one of them, once you die. Then you become an undead creature roaming the world like a banshee, attacking the living to drink their blood... The rest of the Von Dorchas did not turned because for they were beheaded by Leila herself. The bitch knew what she was doing, even by instinct. That's the best way to end with a vampire." Saranah replied staring at the messenger straight into the eyes.

"All this is nonsensical... I just cannot believe what you're saying Saranah... And these undead, for how long they live?" Godfrey scratched his head trying to assimilate.

"For ever. They don't live for they are already dead. Their immortal bodies exist as long as they are able to quench their thirst for blood. There was a time when they were like a plague. Vampires are creatures of the night that raise from Satan's bowels to torment the Christians. But, there's another legend that says it was a male vampire, a prince the one who transformed Lady Leila. He attacked her in the woods when she rode her mare by the river. Every story is uncertain but the woman brought damnation to her family. She ended up being a vampire and did not mind to devour her own to satisfy her bloodlust."

"So, if Leila died or existed for several centuries, who is the woman found severely wounded in Harzburg?" The messenger asked more to himself than to the woman next to him.

"She is, Leila Von Dorcha. That devilish woman certainly traveled a lot, but she has the power to that and more. You must hustle back and alert your master before it's too late for them... if it's not too late already."

II

The messenger's horse swiftly galloped up and down hills and plains of the southern regions. Day and night, barely resting, the messenger rode back to arrive as soon as possible to Harzburg. It was over three weeks of commuting, but he would make it without delaying to prevent a tragedy. Vampire or not, Geoffrey knew that the inhabitants of the castle were in danger. Whoever, whatever it was that thing in a cask of a woman who called herself Leila, must be stopped before she undertook her bloody attack against the people of Harz.

In the castle, all odds were against poor Ardith. The girl was very weak and barely moved from her bed. Her skin was pale contrasting with the dark shade of purple in under her eyes and her lips looked cyanotic thin. She had dramatically lost weight and Baron Ascili was unable to find an efficient remedy to her condition. All treatments administered seemed to have just a vague effect.

The doctor was sure of one thing: Ardith had a blood illness. The sudden weakness could only respond to the fact that her blood was contaminated in some form. Whatever had bitten her, had soiled her blood and made her grow weaker.

And while Ardith convalesced, Leila was increasingly recovering. Her eyes had a special, almost otherworldly glow. The woman's skin looked fresher and rosy every day. She walked through the castle as if she was the mistress giving orders and that was something Orla abhorred. The maidservants simply didn't trust her. Orla was sure that whatever was happening to Ardith had something do, in one way or another, with the intruder.

Leila sat in the living room reading a book when Lord Aelderic entered the room carrying a beautifully ornate wooden box. "Oh, Lord Aelderic, I did not get to see... Oh, what's in that box?"

"It's a gift... to the woman who captivated me with her beauty." The duke's voice was tender.

Leila moved with sensuality and flirtatious gestures towards the Duke. Placing her hands on the man's chest she crooked a smile, making the case in the hands of the duke shake with his nerves.

"Who is that beautiful woman that you talk about? Is there perhaps another lady more beautiful than me?" Leila boldly seduced Lord Aelderic.

"No... it is not. You are the most beautiful woman in the World." Lord Aelderic said staring intently at Leila's face.

"So... what's in the box... milord?" The last word seemed to be a lustful gasp coming out of Leila's seductive lips.

"Here, open, it's for you." The Duke placed the box in Leila's hands who proceeded to open it, while she looked mischievously at Duke. Leila opened her eyes wide in disbelief when he saw what was inside the box. The red gem that adorned the huge pendant in the necklace that the duke was giving to Leila, reflected its glare in her black irises. "Do you like it? It belonged to my dead wife, Lady Edwina, who in peace may rest... I hope you do not mind that it was hers." Leila cut off the duke's explanation of the origin of the jewel as she threw herself in his arms and placed an ardent and strong kiss in Lord Aelderic's lips. The poor man succumbed to Leila's charms and he offered no resistance, rather enjoyed the pleasure that her kisses and caresses were giving.

The Duke hadn't tasted, since his wife past away, the lips of a woman and Leila was offering the best of her delicacies. The beautiful and sensual woman never stopped kissing Lord Aelderic. She wrapped him in her web of lust and passion. Leila was leaning against the rear wall of the room. The man overflowed, craving for her body. Both were panting as they melted into a kiss that seemed eternal.

"Oh, Lord Aelderic, I'm so ashamed of myself. I do not know what had overpowered me. What will you think of me?"

"That you are the most extraordinary of all women I have ever met."

"You're right... I'm the most extraordinary of all the creatures you'd ever met... and will." Leila muttered as she walked away from the Duke. Leaving him still impressed and recovering from the excitement of the ardent encounter, she grinned triumphantly.