Chapter 15 In the Name of God

"We need to ask for more troops to reinforce ours immediately or to convince the locals to join us! It's the only way we can stop this madness!" Lord Edmund shouted to his men as he wrapped more fabric around his arms assisted by his page. Theboy covered the captain's arms with rags around the entire area. "Rapidly, Vic, send a missive to the neighbor duchy and inform what is happening here. Take a proof with you. Grab one of the heads of a recently beheaded soldier... or a dismembered bitten arm. Only then they'll believe the horrible threat that is approaching to the empire if we are not able to fight back these bloody demons.

The messenger opened his eyes wide knowing that he would have to search through the piles of human rests and take any that might persuade allies to join them in battle... or make them refuse in fear.

Outside the tents, everything was in chaos. The stench of blood and putrefaction was horrid. Even worse was the intense smell of scorching flesh emanating from the burning pyres. The flames were never put out for there were many dismembered bodies. Hundreds of soldiers were brutally massacred by these infernal beasts. The army of the Holy Roman Empire was being slowly decimated by a Visigoth army that had a powerful weapon: immortality.

Christian soldiers looked like helpless rag dolls against the demonized creatures that formed the Visigoth armies. The rumors that were heard about these bloodthirsty enemies who came with a relentless thirst for blood were not far from reality. They literally had bloodlust. The carmine vital liquid was their strength.

"We'll fight against the hosts of Satan in God's name...To the death!" It was the battle cry proclaimed by the army generals as they raised in the air the white crest with the red Catholic cross in it. The soldiers ran giving valiant war screams, yet fearing for their lives. Their war wasn't against a human enemy. Even though the Visigoths were not many, just a few hundreds, their defenses and unnatural powers raged the German army.

It could be heard the wielding of the sword and the clanging of metal echoed through the valley. The screams of a soldier being mortal and brutally injured were frightening but didn't last long. The poor fellow will experience a quick and nasty death. The members of the Christian soldiers flew in the air. Mainly the arms and heads... others were halved. The force with which these demons drove the sword, spears, hammers and axes was unbelievable. Then they drank the blood of each victim. That gave the enemy the strength to keep fighting and killing... and slaughtering.

Many soldiers had deserted the German armada, fleeing terrified, fearing both for their lives and their souls. Some soldiers who had not perished after being dismembered, took the chance of being bitten. If they died, they returned as one of those hellish creatures. With deep sorrow the few soldiers that survived had to be beheaded and their rests hung in huge pyres and burned outside the camp in pyres.

"My brave soldiers, it's time almost dawn. We have survived another day thanks to thy Lord's mercy who in his Holy Providence has not abandoned us." Edmund spoke to the legionaries. He was now the highest ranked official after the death of two generals in battle and a third one that was sacrificed because he was possessed by evil.

In those precise moments that were getting ready for battle, a messenger arrived, running into the general's tent and dropping to Edmund's feet. He carried in arms a heavy sack that fell with him to the ground noisily and opened to reveal some strange paraphernalia.

"Is this a joke? I sent you to bring more weapons and supplies and you arrive with a sack full of... vials? But why do you bring these artifacts to me?" Edmund was fuming, his voice loud filled with frustration staring all puzzled to the scattered glass vials containing some thick yellowish liquid, a substance that seemed to be oil. Amongst the crystal clear bottles, there were a few silver daggers, knives and some wooden crosses.

"My General... I beg your pardon, but this is what was sent by His Excellency Monsignor Bodicceli. He said that the troops are on the way... Army troops of the Holy Empire, but he gave me clear instructions to tell you that you must read the letter he sent. There you'll find how to use the holy water and anointing oil to fight the enemy."

With skepticism and evident reservation, Edmund opened the scroll hoping, but doubting what he might read that would offer a coherent explanation for all this nonsense... holy water, consecrated oil and wooden crosses to fight an army of powerful demons. What he would do with that? Throw them to the enemy or baptize them?

General Edmund Whigheard

I know it's not the best time to write an affectionate or respectful greeting. I rather must go straight to the point with this letter because time is short and the threat to the lives and souls of the Holy Roman Empire is huge. The devil has many ways to seduce and attack the man. You face the most evil and powerful form of demonic manifestation: the vampire. A vampire is a type of demonic possession. These creatures have existed for millennia. Its origin dates back to when the same serpent tempted Eve, mostly through sexual temptation that playback as a medium. The first beings were females and their progeny was incubated by mortal men that were seduced and then killed once they had the seed inside of them. These are called 'incubus'.

The vampires are bloody entities. They bear no soul, but retain the human characteristics of the person possessed. They feed on blood for it is life and even more, it's life for them. Once they bleed their victims they dismember them preventing the assassinated humans from becoming vampires like them. A human becomes a vampire when his blood is contaminated with the blood of these creatures either by drinking it or when it enters the body in any way.

The contents of the bag might look strange, but I assure they will be very useful for you while the reinforcement troops arrive to the region. Drench your robes, armors and your whole body with holy water or consecrated oil. In the same way your weapons, arrows and all artifacts used in combat.

Use fire to fight for fire purifies. Launch to the enemy burning arrows and never extinguish campfires or bonfires. The vampires must be dismembered to be destroyed and then burnt. Do not touch their blood or any dead soldier's blood. Bury the rests in deep pits and then set them in fire.

Vampires abhor and fear the Holy Cross like every Hell creature does. Place wooden crosses near the camps and use the small as necklaces or pinned to the armors. Talk to them with authority in the name of God. For He commands us to do so as stated in the Gospels. Luke 10:19 'Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall hurt you.'

Having said all these, I send my blessings to you all. My prayers are with you, the soldiers of the Holy Empire. We have faith that with the help of our Lord God Almighty you must win this battle against the hosts of evil.

Just like Joshua and the army of Israel defeated the five Canaanite armies to defend the Gibeonites. Do not your hearts fear, for the God of Israel will also be with you.

Monsignor Bodicceli,
Bishop of the yields of Germania.

Edmund's trembling hands held the letter, rereading it, trying to find something he could believe in, but seemed surreal; reality seemed surreal, a terrible nightmare that found no dawn to vanish it. The general placed the parchment over the table and stared with bewilderment the sack lying on the floor and the bizarre contents. He needed to figure out how he would explain his men what was revealed in the letter and the strategy suggested by the church. Would they believe him? Would they follow him?

***Hello people of the Sacred German Empire!!! What do you think of the story so far? What do you expect of this battle? Do you like Edmund's character? Are you enjoying the historical bits in this story so far? Please let me know. I'll appreciate your comments!