Chapter 3 Farewell

Chapter 3 Farewell

"But, why it can't be other? Why do you have to be the one that goes to battle?" Ardith appalled at the terrible news, the world crumbled to her feet. She ambled up and down the garden, trying to organize her thoughts after Edmund notified her that he would be the one leading up the king's armada to far away lands in the southern regions of empire. "Do not go, please. I beg you to stay here, safe, with me. You can send another person to take your place. You're the king's herald, I know you can! Go, ask King Henry to do it, please!" Embracing Edmund, Ardith pleaded with broken voice and tearful eyes.

 You're the king's herald, I know you can! Go, ask King Henry to do it, please!" Embracing Edmund, Ardith pleaded with broken voice and tearful eyes

"I am afraid this time I can't do what you ask. I would bring you down the moon and the stars if you ask me, but I can't refuse a direct order, neither a council's resolution. You know it is my duty as King Henry's herald and general of the Saxon armada. I have trained for this my whole life." Edmund replied heart ached, his voice saddened. It was evident he didn't want to go either to battle as he tried to reason with Ardith, speaking to her tenderly of the prevailing reasons that forced him to leave. "My love, the situation is very delicate. Maybe you do not understand political affairs, but this time we are facing an invasion and it must be stopped immediately. A violent faction of Visigoths has reached the southern bank of the Rhine, destroying everything on their path."

"How is it possible? Visigoths in Germanic lands? Maybe I'm ignorant on war or political affairs but I'm well studied in history. The Goth's empire was terminated more than two centuries ago when the pagan Arabs forced them to flee, and were expelled from Iberia." Ardith tried to find an error... and excuse for Edmund to stay. She couldn't believe what happened and was in denial.

"Apparently they were just dispersed at the beginning. It took them a century but then they concealed the remaining vestiges of their empire somewhere between Iberia and the Realm des Francs, concealed in the regions near the Pyrenees and in the impenetrable forests of southern Gaul. They even tried to recover Toulouse and caused great destruction in their attempts. As terrible or fantastic that this seems, these factions had strengthened in numbers and weapons", Edmund explained with frustration what was happening.

"But that's horrible! How were they able to advance into Germanic southern lands? That territory happens to be so hostile even for the locals."

"Visigoths are blood thirsty warriors, moved by greed for land and power. Their motivation goes beyond politics or religion. What they want is to take back what they think theirs... A horde of fanatics that's what they are. Did you know that those fools claim to be guided by generals Ardo and Pelagius? Can you imagine this tomfoolery?"

"What? That's impossible! Both died after the Battle of Guadalete, more than a century ago." Ardith was shocked.

"Yes I know... They affirm the generals have returned from death and now lead the Visigoth ranks with superhuman strength and supernatural powers."

"They are heretics, pagans, witches, even worse than the Barbarians or Huns", Ardith retorted.

"Yes, that is why we must stop them. They have caused chaos and unrest in the south. They must be vanquished." A crestfallen Edmund gazed down at a devastated Ardith. She was so frustrated for the undeniable facts that forced his fiancé to leave. Hopeless, Ardith fixated her stare into the ground. No matter what, it was inevitable. Edmund had to go to battle. He cupped Ardith's chin and gently lifted her face until their eyes met. "My love, I know you're sad, I'm sad too, still you need to understand that it is our duty, it's my duty to defend the Holy Germanic Empire from the Visigoths or any other foreign enemy. If they are not blocked at the bank of the Rhine, they could easily cross the Black Forests, and without doubts they will aim for the Northern duchies to destabilize the peace treaty and the neutral feuds. King Henry needs all the support from the counties and provinces. I must go both in the name of my father and the kingdom itself. These savages can't be allowed by any means to come here. I would die if something ever happens to you." Edmund gently stroked his fiancée's moistened cheek, wiping away with his thumb the tear that fell down her face.

"Promise me you'll be back soon." Ardith cried almost in a whisper.

"I promise over my life that I will, and once I come back, you'll be my wife. We will be very happy to the end of our days, my darling." Edmund spoke with so much tenderness that he could thaw winter into spring with his voice.

"I love you, Edmund", Ardith whispered in a declaration of deep melancholy but also fear.

"I love you more Ardith." Edmund leaned towards her and their lips fused to produce a beautiful and passionate kiss... a long kiss that did not want to find its end. Both were submerged in the loving but sorrowful moment and eternal promises of love were made in the garden that day.

It was time to depart and Edmund walked away without looking back. He couldn't bear to face Ardith one more time. He had no strengths.

The young duchess stood in the middle of the garden, by the water well. Her heart shrunk watching him leave when deep inside she only wanted to run after him. Fists tightened by her sides, a tense line on her lips, it was a turmoil of emotions, all of them horrible: frustration, anger, impotence, sadness.

Edmund's eyes filled with tears and his chest sored. He did not want to go into battle, but his loyalty to the empire and his future duty as the herald of King Henry required him to walk away from the woman he loved, only God knew for how long.

Poor Ardith! Fate doesn't seem to be her ally! What do you think of this chapter?

Ardo and Pelagius were in fact Visigoth Generals. The Battle in Guadalete is a real fact in Spain history, like most of the reference details in the plot you will find.

This is a vampire novel set in real places in a most accurate time in history. Hope you like it.