Chapter 34 Wedding Night and Flowered Canopies

I

Ardith was stunning in her wedding gown! She looked like an angel in her beautiful pearl white elegant empire waist cut dressed embellished with flowered appliqués and embroideries that trimmed a generous décolletage and the rest of the line. The maids styled the duchess' hair with a simple braid adorned with tiny white flowers and a silver tiara. Nothing more was needed for Ardith was a true beauty and she looked even more stunning now that she was fully recovered from the devilish illness provoked by Leila' bite.

Already in the back patio, the young lady marched by her father's arm who walked her with joy. The duke's wide grin revealed how proud he was of his girl who moved with ethereal grace to the rhythm of the nuptial tunes played by the harps and flutes right next to him. In that moment, Ardith had eyes only for her beloved Edmund, the handsome man standing by the altar waiting for her and smiling. It felt surreal for her, for both of them as the gap between them was closing and time for them to be pronounced husband and wife was near, finally. Ardith was a little nervous but on her face it glowed a wide beam of happiness and her green irises glistened with the reflection of a love that had overcome all the adversities it had faced in a not too far away somber past. Only a month ago future appeared dismal to the couple. Hardships came from this world or the other but they had disappeared, hopefully for ever. Memories came like a faraway dream, or more precisely, like a horrid nightmare that quickly vanished. And today it was their wedding day, the moment they dreamed of since the first day they met.

Thanks to God and to the Holy Heaven above that an ulterior sacrifice was not needed after all, the young and the handsome herald survived and Ardith was still a human. The beautiful duchess and Edmund resulted victorious on her battle against evil and all the demons that came along with Leila Von Dorcha to torment her were casted away.
As the bride was getting closer to the altar amongst the cheers and the applause of all the guests, her heart hammered faster inside her chest. Everything was even better than she dreamt, wanted or expected it to be. The guests were elegantly attired; the garlands and flowers, the candles and the incense burning and the tables set for the feast was beyond her expectations. Definitely her father worked very hard to please her in every way and detail for this special occasion for there were so many reasons to celebrate.

"I wish you all the happiness of the world, mi lovely daughter. I give you in the hands of the man that you love and that I know will make you extremely happy." Lord Aelderic spoke in a broken voice. It was a very emotive moment for him. Then the duke addressed Edmund. "Sir Edmund Wigheard, Count of Wigmodia, I give my beloved daughter, Ardith Cuthberht Von Goslar as your bride. I know you will make her blissful for the years to come. I give to you my blessing." After kissing Ardith in the forehead, Lord Aelderic took his place next to the Count and Countess of Wigmodia and a smiling King Henry.

That journey they chose to make after receiving the messages of the terrible condition in which Edmund was, turned to be one of extremely joy, because when they arrived to the Cuthberht's mansion, they found that the young herald was out of danger. Edmund's parents decided to stay and began right away with the wedding plans and arrangements. It was about time and the lovely couple deserved all the happiness life could give them.

Ardith took Edmund's hand and both looked at each other and smiled reassuring their love. The bishop proceeded then with the nuptial rites and the phrases spoken in Latin got lost intangible in the air because Ardith and Edmund only had eyes, ears and heart for each other and nobody else. And after reciting the vows and exchanging the wedding rings, old Bishop Rudrich, the same one that chased Leila for so long, recited the famous phrase "Now I pronounce you husband and wife." The newly wed couple kissed tenderly in front of the guests that stood up and cheered. The passionate kisses were to be reserved for the night.