Chapter Six

Mason's Story age 9

 Before my family was taken from me, I was the funny chirpy one. The only child but made friends very easily. I remember the way i would make them laugh. No matter how bad the situation was i was always able to at least make them smile. I thought that nothing could go wrong. Then one day after coming back from  school i opened the door to find my parents with a bullet in their heads. A note was in their hands. I took shaky steps and grabbed the note with their blood, "My beautiful son. If you find us in a terrible way. Please remember us with smiles. Dont look at us with sadness. We love you. We're so sorry for leaving you so soon. Some people can't stand seeing others happy. Thats how the cruel world works. We need you to keep smiling. We need you to be strong. It's okay to cry. Scream. But become strong after. Let the sorrow be your strength. My dear son. We are so proud of you. We love you. Sorry. Love, mom and dad." My hands trembled as i held the letter. I screamed in agony as tears poured from my eyes. I laid between them. I laid there for a while until i heard footsteps. I had to leave. I quietly got out through the back door and ran. I ran and ran. I don't know where i was going. All i know is that i needed to get away.

 Days went by. I was walking down the street. I was full of hate and sorrow. I wanted to find the ones who took my life away from me. What did they want? Why my parents? They were such kind people to everyone. I walked in the street not seeing that a car was coming until i felt arms around my waist pulling me back. My eyes widened.

 I quickly got off and saw a girl with black hair. Her green eyes were cold. Her face emotionless. "ROSE!! DAMMIT WHAT THE HELL!! WHY THE HELL DID YOU DO THAT! YOU COULD HAVE GOTTEN YOURSELF HURT!!" I saw three guys running along with a girl. They ran to the girl with black hair and glared at me. I kept my face emotionless. The girl gripped my shirt, "HEY! WHY DON'T YOU WATCH WHERE YOUR GOING! DON'T YOU SEE THAT YOUR LIFE COULD HAVE BEEN GONE! YOU COULD HAVE KILLED MY SISTER ALONG WITH YOU!" I felt rage. I grabbed her hand and pushed her back. The guys yelled at me, "YOU SON OF A BITCH! DON'T PUSH HER!" The girl with black hair came in front of me. "What happened?" 

 I don't understand why i told her. Her eyes held and emotion of despair but it was gone as quickly as it came. She held her hand out to me, "Take my hand." I looked at her weirdly. She stared at me, "I know what it feels like to have your parents get taken away. I know the feeling. The rage and emptiness you must be feeling. My family was taken from me as well."

 Tears were pouring down my eyes as she continued, "It will take a lot of time even years to overcome the sadness. The lost of loved ones will always leave a hole in our heart. But that doesn't mean that they are completely gone. They are in here." She poked my chest where my heart is. I looked at her finger then her face. I fell to my knees and cried as she wrapped her arms around me. "Life is going to be hard. But with this pain that you are feeling will make you strong."

 I looked at her and she smiled, "Come with us. I will give you a home. This home will never replace yours but it can be a place that you can feel peace. I promise that you will not be alone. We are family." She pointed to the three guys and the girl then pointed at me, "And now you are a part of it." I looked at her. Her eyes were cold yet warm. I couldn't explain it but i came to love this family. I came to love this girl as a sister i never had.

 She gave me a family. She gave me happiness. It took time but eventually i warmed up to them. I would make them laugh. The guys would get jealous that i could make her laugh. We would wrestle and she would put us on our as*es. But then laugh after. I owed her my life. I will protect this girl that has showed me love and care. She would be emotionless and be in her own world at times but we would always snap her out of it. We would see the fear in her eyes as her past kept roaming in her mind.

Sometimes she was too lost that we would have to take her to her bed and we would lay with her as she faught her demons. Only at night she would show more emotions. She would become vulnerable. But she acted strong the next day for us. We love her. We would give our life to protect her. She is our life. She is the only reason we are still living. Without her. Without her words and kindness. We would be lost. Broken. Or even dead. She has fixed us in many ways. Now its our turn to fix her. But like she told me it can take years. But i will be here all the way. I know the guys and Sarah feel the same way. Without her we'd be lost. She has brought us hope and happiness. She has made us whole in a way. She has given us what we lost and desperately seeked and needed. She gave us a family.