The Selection: Part One

In sweet voice, like that of a fairy: This is the story of a girl whose tale is just like that of Cinderella.... Ok maybe not just like it but close enough. Gabriela Rodriguez is given the chance of a lifetime, being of age to enter into the selection to win the heart of Prince Alexander. *Sighs dreamily. Of course as expected she does enter into the selection and is chosen to participate (or else this would be a very horrible story). Together we will go through the twists and turns of this young girl's life at the palace. Will she come from rags to riches? (Ok not exactly rags but you get the point.) Will she fall in love? Well, you'll just have to read and find out won't you. Anyways this wonderful tale starts with a....

Thump. I instantly shot up from my sleeping position, startled by the sudden noise, and my head hit the top of my bunk bed. I hissed in pain, rubbing my forehead. I look to my side to find my little sister sprawled out on the floor, rubbing her back in pain. She must of fallen off the bed... again.

"Giuliana Lillian Rodriguez! Do you seriously move so much that you keep falling of the bed! That's the third time... this week!" I pulled the sheets out from on top of me and went to help her up.

"Gabriela Nicole Rodriguez! Do you have to keep scolding me everytime I fall of the stinkin' bed! It's not my fault!" She got back up on her feet and glared at me, as if I was the reason why this kept happening to her.

I gave her a look, trying to make her apologize for yelling at me, but she quickly returned it. We continued having a staring contest, or I guess you could call it a glaring contest. She ended up winning, and was now pumping her fist's into the air in victory.

I rolled my eyes, but gave a small smile, watching her do her victory dance. Have you ever seen a fish that was taken out from the water and starts to flop around everywhere on dry land? Well, it looks kinda like that.

"Come on kiddo, the sun's coming up anyway, let's go get some breakfast." I pulled her with me out the door while she was in the middle of doing the sprinkler. She sent me yet another look, implying that she wasn't a "kid" anymore. She can tell me that when she's my age.

We made our way through the hallway, and veered to the right towards the kitchen. Standing there was my aunt Katherine, already making breakfast for herself. I turned to Jules (that's my nickname for my sister) and put my finger to my lips. She nodded her head in understanding, and I slowly started creeping my way over to Kathy, who's back was turned.

5 steps... 4 steps....3 steps... 2 steps..."Boo!" I grabbed her by the shoulders, making her jump like a foot in the air! Ok that was kinda exaggerated, it was more like 3 inches of the ground.

"Gabriela! Don't you ever do that again!" She scolded, her left hand on her heart. I on the other hand was doubled over laughing! I could barely breath! Once I caught my breath, I looked over towards the hallway, where Jules was literally rolling around on the floor!

We continued like that for a few moments, while Kathy was glaring at us, her spatula in her right hand, her eggs probably now burnt. She gave one of those motherly sighs of disappointment, and turned back towards the stove. Once I could breath normal again, I wiped the tears from my eyes, and gave her a hug.

"I'm sorry momma, we were just having a little fun that's all." I gave her a quick squeeze, then walked over to help Jules up off the ground, sneaking in a quick high five, and taking a seat at the kitchen table. Btw I call Kathy momma since that's basically what she is.

"What in the world is going on in here!!" A voice bellowed from the hallway. I quickly turned in that direction, and there stood my uncle Jeffery, with a baseball bat in his hands.

"They thought it would be a good idea to scare the heck out of me." Kathy pointed to the both of us, and we put on our innocent faces, but Jeff didn't seem to buy it.