Chapter 6

"Wake up! Wake up! You have to hear this!" Jules and I simultaneously shot up and hit our heads on the top of the bunk bed. Why does this keep happening to me!? I'm gonna have to trade beds with Jules.

I looked over to the doorway, where a adrenalized Kathy stood, almost jumping out of her skin. Jules and I groaned, and slid off the bed and onto the floor. We slowly got up, and looked over at Kathy, neither of us fully awake.

"You have to hear this!" She yanked our arms, and pulled us out the door and into the living room. Both Jules and I totally clueless as to what was happening.

Kathy excitedly pointed to TV, looking as if she was about to explode. The screen showed an excited Gavril who looked the same way Kathy did.

"You heard me right folks! Unfortunately, poor Kaitlyn fell down the stairs at her party breaking a leg... literally. She is currently now at the hospital, but due to the injuries she will not be participating in the selection. So we will be calling out another lucky lady from Carolina today at 9AM. Stay tuned!" The TV quickly switched over to an advertisement, while I stood there dumbfounded.

"Wait so....there's still a chance that they'll call Gabs???" Jules seemed wary about what was happening, she probably doesn't want to get her hopes up again. Kathy nodded her head excitedly, then suddenly remembering that she had been cooking breakfast, sprinted over to the kitchen.

He had said that they will be announcing the "lucky lady" at 9AM. I turned and looked up at the clock on the wall, where the time currently read 8:53. That means they're going to be announcing it in 7 minutes!

I looked over at Jules, and we shared a small silent conversation, and bolted to the couch. I knew I shouldn't be getting this excited but that was next to impossible.

The minutes ticked by slowly as we continued waiting for the anthem of Illéa to show on the screen, Kathy happily humming in the kitchen.

After what seemed like hours wait we had been waiting for appeared on the screen. Gavril once again materialized on the podium where he seemed giddy with joy.

"Ok everyone, this is what you have been waiting for. The fortunate girl who will be the new addition to the selected family is......" They played a fake drum roll in the background as Gavril paused for suspense," Gabriela Rodriguez!"

Jules jumped up out of her seat on the couch her mouth hanging open, and Kathy came into the living room squealing with joy. I on the other hand just sat there, not quite sure I heard correctly.

Maybe this was all a dream. I tried pinching myself but nothing happened. I looked up at screen where they were showing my picture. It was the last one he took, where I was laughing. This is actually happening!

Suddenly the house phone started ringing, making me come out of my trance. Kathy quickly rushed over to answer it, talking excitedly once she knew who was on the other line.

"There it is! As long as no one else gets hurt these will be the 35 ladies who will be competing for Prince Alexander's heart.

Here is the order by province:

Skyler Lee from Allens

Katherine Howard from Angeles

Ellie Grant from Atlin

Adalyn Davidson from Baffin

Stella O'Conner from Bankston

Claire Hickman from Belcourt

Annabelle Garcia from Bonita

Elizabeth Lewis from Calgary

Gabriela Rodriguez from Carolina