Chapter Ten

"Isn't the door open?" I shouted.

"No," Jessie called back.

Son of a bitch. Now I need to try and get up without knocking down any of the candles or knocking myself out because I have the luck of a clumsy klutz on the best of days never mind today. Grabbing my crutches I made my way to the door.

"Woah! Head rush!" I called feeling dizzy.

"Just be careful in there," Jess reminded me from the other side of the door.

"I'm fine, stop worrying," I said as I opened the door. Instantly she pulled me into a hug.

"It's you we are talking about Row, of course I'm going to worry," she replied.

"Aw thanks Jess," I pretended to scoff.

"I'm sorry babe. I brought you guys some food to make up for it," she smiled.

"I'll just have to eat Taylor's cause she went out to give us the place to ourselves," I stated slowly.

"Why did she leave?" Jess asked, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"I uh, I asked her to," I said, backing away from the door allowing her to see the place tidy with a few beanbags in front of the TV. Bowls of sweets and crisps and popcorn were set out on the coffee table with a stack of DVD's next to them. A soft candle light glow from here and there eliminated the room. "I wanted to do something nice."

"Row, you didn't have to do that. Not with your leg and that."

"Actually, Taylor helped me before she left."

"Well our food is going to get cold come on," Jess said, leaving me to hobble behind her into the kitchen. I didn't mind of course. The view from behind of her behind was enticing. I wonder how many squats she does a day. 50? It has to be more than that. 

"Did you get it?" Jessie asked me, pulling me out of my apparent daydream.

"Get what?" I asked.

"My joke?"

"No what was it?" I replied.

"Why does the elephant paint his feet yellow? So he can hide upside down in custard," Jessie giggles before bursting out in a fit of laughter. 

"Jess, that's not even funny." 

Dinner was good. The Chinese was like sex to my taste buds as I hadn't had one in so long. During dinner it gave me a chance to figure out what to say to Jessie. I wanted to tell her how I felt and what has been going on in my head but I wanted to do it right. In as little words as possible to keep from confusing her.

"You done babe? You've been pushing that around your plate for ages now," she asked. I just nodded and headed to tidy up.

"What's bothering you?" She asked as she dried the plates.

"I um, you see, I wanna er, I uh, this is coming out wrong already," I sighed. "Here." I handed her the letter from the uni. After reading it her eyes light up and she smiled.

"That's great! Well done babe. But what has it got to do with you being upset?"

"It is great and it's going to help a little. I'm not upset. Just a little anxious I guess." Anxious wasn't the word. I was so scared. I was nervous and my palms were sweaty. "Come into the living room with me."

"Row, you're worrying me now. Just tell me," she pleaded.

"Okay so, I left home when I was 16 as you know, but when I was doing my GCSE's my mind set changed. I wanted to set an example for my siblings. My family is everything to me. I want them to look up to me. I've never been the best but things have been good enough I guess. Of course my mum and dad don't know a lot of stuff. Like, nights out and relationships. Especially my relationships with girls. I haven't told them I'm gay Jess. I want to because keeping things to myself and hiding who I am isn't something I want to do. I want nothing more than to show my sisters and brother that you should just be yourself but I don't know how to tell them," I explained. I took a shaky breath before going on. "I've only realised how much I want to tell them now because I've only realised now how much I want to be with you. You make me feel safe," I continued taking her hand in mine. "I want to be with you today, tomorrow - forever because in the short time I've known you. I've fallen, fallen so hard and so fast. I love you Jessica Cornish and this is me asking you to be my girlfriend," I finished.

I was proud of my little speech. It was clear and to the point. I said everything I wanted to say and I had told her how I felt. And I asked her to be my girlfriend.

"I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling like that then," she smiled, pressing her lips to mine with a loving kiss.

"Is that a yes then?" I asked, the smiled couldn't be wiped from my face however hard you tried.

"It is the biggest and most surest yes I've ever said in my life. And we will sort something out about your parents babe," Jessie reassured.

"This doesn't make me a cougar right? Since you're only 19 and I'm 24," she asked, pretending to be worried.

"Cougars are weird old women, covered in slap, so that obviously counts you out baby," I smiled before kissing her forehead.

"Yay, I was worried then," Jess laughed. "But babe, can you take your medicine now? You were supposed to take it right after dinner."

"Oh shoot. Tell you what. Pick a movie, pull that table closer and get onto that stupid bed so we can cuddle and watch some something when I get back," I told her.

When I came back Jessie was snuggled under the duvet with Marley and Me at the opening titles. I jumped into bed behind her and we watched the movie. Well I watched Jess. I could finally call her mine. She was mine. How great did it feel to be able to finally say it. As her head rested on my shoulder and her eyes grew heavy I stared at her face memorizing every little detail so I could dream about her beautiful face. Just as I shut my eyes I heard Taylor come back in. Of course she was slightly drunk.

"Good one on getting the girl Rowan. Proud of you babe. I'll be in my room if you need me, I loves cho," she mumbled quietly.

"Night Taylor," I whispered.

That's all a remember before my eyes closed and a green eyed, black haired beauty starred in my dreams who I could safely say was my girlfriend.