31 ; birthday

Today is my birthday, I've been dreading this all week. Evie is the only other person who knows about today.

I plan to keep it that way.

Mum rang me and said happy birthday, she said she's emailed the school to say that I could stay home for 'a mental health day'.

Daddy: morning baby girl, where are you @ today?

I didn't feel like replying to him, so I just got into bed and cried myself to sleep for the whole day.

-

A hard knock came on the front door, I sprung up out of bed and raced for it.

I pull open the door, Michael stands there.

"You didn't answer my text messages, are you okay? What's wrong?" He asks when he notices the tears still on my cheeks.

"I can't talk about it." I bluntly say.
"Baby girl you can tell me anything."
"Just-just come in."
"Thanks."

Michael takes a seat on the couch, I sit next to him.

"What's going on?" He cups the side of my face.
"Today is my birthday." A tear rolls down my cheek. "And today, was the day my father died, it was my fault."

"What?"
"He didn't have to go and get me a birthday present, he could've stayed home with me and mum."
"It's not your fault!"
"It is! If he didn't go and get me a birthday present that car would've never swerved into him and killed him."
"May, this is not your fault." He holds my cheeks.
"15 years without my dad. I'm seventeen Michael. Seventeen."

Michael brings me into his arms and we lay down on the couch. He's obviously the big spoon, but I face towards his chest and cry.

"I love you, babe." He whispers into my hair.

But I'm already drifting off to sleep.

||

Wait, May, did u lock the door behind Michael?