Chapter 3: Time Troubles

I sat up in my bed hurriedly. Within  five minutes of awaking, I remembered William and his insane story about being from the future. Maybe he was on drugs or something.

I went down the stairs to see him with his head in my refrigerator. "Excuse me?!" I said, apparently startling him because he jumped.

"Sorry Linda, you scared me."

"What are you doing," I asked, finding my arms.

"Looking for some food."

"So are you still sticking to your story of being a guy who accidentally came from the future to the past but really needed to go to the further future to save humanity from the depths of a black hole?"

"Linda,I was not lying. I am from the future,"said William seriously.

"But how can that be?" I asked, sitting down. "The future hasn't happened yet so technically you don't exist."

"And yet, here I am. Linda, time isn't a platform. It's an ever going thing. Think about it. Is there even a such thing as a future? By the time you get to the future, it's become the present. Tomorrow never really comes." William said, sitting next to me and placing a hand on my shoulder. "I need your help."

"My help," I said a little shocked. A time traveler was asking me for assistance. "I'm sorry but I really can't do a whole lot. I don't have a time machine."

"Well can I just stay with you for awhile until I figure out what I'm supposed to do?"

"Yeah sure," I agreed. "But we need to do some research on this. I picked my laptop up from the coffee table and began typing.

"Wait seriously?" William laughed. "You still type stuff?"

"Yes. I'm not from 2000 years in the future."

"If you were in my time, you could think what you wanted to research. No wonder people used to get arthritis." He shook his head. "How do you live?"

"Quite comfortably," I laughed as I typed how to travel to the future in Google.

"Oh my God," I said as we read a article of wikipedia about time travel. One man traveled in time so far in time that his grandchildren were grandparents and all his friends were dead. Another man woke up 20 years in the future where his wife was dead, he was forgotten and his daughter was grown up.

"Yes," William said gravely. "Time travel is dangerous. In the time I'm in now, my great grandparents haven't even been born. Going back in time is more dangerous than going forward though. Going back  you could erase your own existence and all your descendents. We have to be very careful. For instance, what would you be doing if I wasn't here?"

"Writing my story."

"Then do that now. See I've already corrupted the time steam. Every move I make has the potential to be dangerous." William said gravely.

I hugged him. "William I'm so scared for you."

"It's okay," he said hugging me back. "I'll be okay. So will you. I'm not going to let anything happen to either one of us "