Chapter 20: The Cure

I looked from Rachel to William and Liam in horror.

"The person with the cure is dead?!"I exclaimed.

"Well, we've gotta figure out something," William said quickly. He looked down at me.  "I can't lose you."

I winced and clenched my arm. The bite really was agonizing.

"What if we went back in time? " My brother suggested.

Rachel looked at him and nodded appreciatively. "That could work. Go back in time, get the cure?"

"And stop the guy from being assassinated, " I added.

Rachel shook her head. "No bad idea. This guy had cures for everything.  Lethal bites, STDs, even cures for cancer. He withheld them for the sake of money. He was a genius but he wasn't a good guy."

"Why did the government have him killed then?" I asked.  It seemed like they would be in support of him.

"The government wanted to buy the cures from him but he refused. When he found out, the government was planning on stealing them,  he destroyed the cures. The government was infuriated and so they killed him," Rachel explained.

Suddenly I let out a scream. The bite on my arm was spreading and the pain intensified. All three of them looked at me in alarm.

"Linda, what's wrong?" William asked. "Is it your arm?"

I nodded.  I could feel the infectious venom spreading and it was killing me.

"Okay," My brother said with a worried expression.  "Let's get this damn cure. "

"She can't go anywhere. .. She needs to be someplace safe and secure," Rachel told us.

"I'll stay with Linda, " William said to her. "You and Rachel go get this cure."

"We'll be back,  sis." Liam promised.

I nodded. "Love you."

"Love you too."

He and Rachel took off and William picked me and began walking.

"You know. .." I began smiling,  "My legs are perfectly capable."

"I know," William said.  "But you're hurt. You don't need to exhaust yourself. "

"That's sweet, " I blushed. "Hey,  where are we going?"

"I'm not sure yet. Someplace safe where you can rest and we won't be found."

I winced again as the pain spread further through my arm.

"Yeah,  I'm gonna find somewhere.  I promise,  Linda."

"It's okay. I'll be fine.  I've got a feeling about this." I was trying to be reassuring,  not wanting William to worry about me.

"I hope so. I don't know what I'd do without you." William said seriously. "I love you so much."

"I love you too. You're the reason I have something to fight for." I gently placed my hand on his cheek.

Suddenly there was a crash. William and I jumped and fell.

A tall male figure stood in front of us. For some reason,  he made me think of William.

"Dad?!"William exclaimed in shock.

"Yes son. It is me."

"But you're dead!" He exclaimed.

"That I am.  I've come to deliver this."

William's father handed me a long vial with clear liquid. "That is the cure."

William's father turned to leave.

"Dad, wait!!!" William pleaded.

His father turned around.  "Don't worry son. I may be gone,  but I'm watching over you.  This are dangerous times,  but if you stay strong and always keep love in your heart,  you'll be okay."

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"Back home.  In Heaven.  But I'll always be there.  So will your mother.  And all the great people from the past who have died.  I'm so proud to call you my son."

He turned to go once again.

"Mr. Lewis?" I called.

He turned to look at me. "Yes, Linda?"

"Thank you for the cure."

He smiled. "You're welcome."

With that, William's father vanished.