Chapter 12: You & I

William and I ran into trouble the instant we stepped out the room. A loud alarm went off and guards came running.

We tore down the hall, shooting random bullets behind us.

"Where are we going?" I asked William as we bolted away from the guards.

"Through the window," he answered with a determined look.

My eyes widened as we continued running. "What?!"

"Linda, it's the only way we'll make it out of here! I'm sorry, but it's either that or them. Are you ready?"

"William, I'm scared," I said honestly.

"Just hold onto me," he told me. I did and I felt William throw himself through the window. We screamed as we tore through glass and fell. It was the most horrifying moment of my life. I clung to William and buried my face in his chest.

Then we hit the ground. Hard. My head was spinning from the impact.

"Linda, are you okay?" William said looking at me, alarmed.

I tried opening my mouth to reply  but I couldn't. I felt myself swaying. I couldn't stand. William caught me in his arms just as I was about to fall.

"Linda, please say something," he begged. He shook me gently. "Oh my God, you're bleeding! I know some place we can go for awhile." He swooped me up in his strong arms and carried me. That's all I remember before passing out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I regained consciousness, I found myself laying on a bed. There was a bright light to my left. I quickly sat up looking around me frantically.

"It's okay," said a voice to my right. I turned to see William. I let out a sigh of relief. "We're at my house. You were hurt and I wanted to help you," he explained.

"Thank you so much," I cried happily. I rushed over and hugged him. He smiled and picked me up, spinning me around.

"I'm just glad you're alright," he breathed. "I don't know what I'd've done if you weren't." He looked down at me and I suddenly became very aware of his arms around my waist.

We stared at each other for a moment then our lips met. It was the best kiss in the world. I'd kissed a few guys before, but never like this. This was epic, like finding something you didn't know was missing.

Finally we pulled apart and smiled. "You know, Linda, you're an amazing kisser." William told me as he gently brushed his hand on my cheek.

I looked up at him shyly. "Thanks. So are you."

We sat down on the bed together and began chatting. We talked about each other, our families, everything. William was amazing. We really connected. We were two different people, from different worlds and different times, but we fit together perfectly.

He was everything I ever wanted. Loving, brave, handsome, heroic and strong. He made me feel safe and happy. And as we fell asleep with him holding me, I knew I'd fallen for him.