Chapter 16: Eavesdropping

William, Rachel, Liam and I had quite a few hours left to hide underground until the sun went down. Rachel and I were laying down trying to get some shut eye. I think Rachel was sleep, but not me. Even though my eyes were closed, I was actually listening in on the conversation between my brother and my boyfriend.

"So you and my sister, huh?" Liam said.

"Yeah," William responded. "She's amazing. I love her with all my heart"

"How'd you two meet?"

"Well, a few weeks ago, I accidentally traveled to 2014 instead of 5000 like I'd intended to," explained William. "When I got to 2014, I literally landed on her doorstep, so naturally I knocked and we just took it from there."

"I see," Liam mused.

"I really do care about her. I know you're her older brother and you're looking out for her, but I love your sister. I'd do anything in the world for her."

My heart leaped with joy at those words.

"I know," Liam said. "I've seen the way you look at her. I'm glad she has you. You really do love her and you're exactly the kind of guy I'd want my sister to be with. I already consider you as part of the family."

"Thanks, man," William said. "I appreciate that."

It was silent for awhile. At first I thought William and Liam had actually gone to sleep, but then I heard William speak.

"So I see you've got a thing for Rachel."

"You caught that?" Liam said, laughing a little.

"Couldn't have missed it."

"You think she might like me back?" My brother asked anxiously.

"Well," William began, "she did just meet you, but I think you two do have some chemistry. You were her knight in shining armor just like she was your damsel in distress."

"Yeah," sighed Liam. "I don't know what it is. Rachel. I don't even know her last name but there's something about her. It's like the universe is drawing me to her or something."

"Love at first sight?"

"Yeah," my brother said. I was actually a little surprised because Liam had always been a player when it came to girls. Not one of his most admirable traits but girls tended to flock to him like magnets so his ego probably got inflated. But I could tell he genuinely liked Rachel.

It was quiet and I let my mind wander. Life was really something. Both my brother and I had fallen for people who belong thousands of years in the future. On top of that, we were all working to stop a great evil and we could all possibly die. But I guess whatever's meant to be will happen.

With that thought, I drifted off to sleep.