Midnight - Elijah

The clock ticked as each second passed midnight. I lay awake in my bed, my thoughts filled with worry. Elijah and Niklaus had been due home hours ago, and guilt began to pool at the pit of my stomach. I should have known better than to trust the two of them to come back unscathed. But I never expected them to not come back at all.

Tossing the sheets back, I walked into the black kitchen. Opening the fridge, I pulled out the pitcher of water and grabbed a glass from the cabinet. I filled the cup almost to the rim and took a few sips before putting the pitcher back into the fridge. I stood with the door open for a moment, the soft light from inside filling a fraction of the dark kitchen. My head felt like a tornado, whirling in every direction possible, thinking of everything that could've gone wrong. I was scared that something had happened. I was scared that they had gotten hurt and hadn't healed fast enough. I took another sip of water before letting out a loud sigh. I could feel my mind continuing to spin as I closed the door to the refrigerator and turned around.

A dark figure stood in the hallway. A terrified scream left my lips as the person walked over towards me. My eyes were taking their sweet time to adjust to the darkness so I fought against whoever was trying to grab ahold of me.

"Hey, hey, darling, it's me." He whispered, his voice sounding tired and worn.

"Elijah?" I froze, feeling his arms loosen. "Where were you? I was so worried!"

"Shhh...." He pulled me against him. "It's okay. I'm fine."

I wrapped my arms around his neck, jerking back when he groaned in pain.

"Elijah?" I placed a hand on his cheek. "What happened? Are you okay?"

"I told you I'm fine, love."

My nose scrunched up in disbelief as I reached for door of the fridge, pulling it open to shine just enough light over Elijah. I gasped, my mouth dropping open when a large wound was revealed on his neck.

 I gasped, my mouth dropping open when a large wound was revealed on his neck

"Elijah, what is that?!"

"It's nothing, darling. Just a little werewolf bite." He tried to reassure me.

"Elijah, a werewolf bite is not nothing!" I hissed, stepping closer towards him to get a better look. "It looks really bad. Why isn't it healing?"

"Without Niklaus's blood, it will take awhile to heal."

"Klaus's blood? That's a cure?"

"He is the very first hybrid, therefore he can cure a simple werewolf bite. However, if he does not get home in time, it will not kill me, unlike other vampires. Given that I am an original vampire and immortal, I will heal in time."

"Klaus doesn't keep any spare vials of his blood in the house? You know, for specific times like this?" I asked hopefully.

"You know what? He actually might. Go up into his room and look in his bathroom. If I know my brother it's hidden in one of his drawers."