XVIII

CHAPTER 18  

"[I]t was the color of someone buying you an ice cream cone for no reason at all."-Lemony Snicket 

"Dude, you smell like cinnabuns. Mmmm." Scarlett said, her head buried in my shoulder. A silent pause later, I felt her body getting heavier on me.  "Uh- Scarlett? Want to get off now?" I tapped her back awkwardly. Okay maybe not.

"Scarlett?" I asked anxiously and her head just lolled off my shoulder. Oh of course. She'd fallen asleep. Tom asks me about my video game collection and go away from her for literally five minutes and she eats Tom's hash brownies. 

I pulled her up to the bed and let her rest, she mumbled some words and snuggled in to the pillow. "That girl is crazy, Evans." I turned to see a groaning Tom who was leaning on my doorway, his left cheek red and swollen. "Thank God she's asleep... Wanna get a game before I leave?"

"Sure, I'll be right there, you set up." I suggested. Tom shrugged walked down to the living room. I looked back at Scarlett and she was sound asleep, sighing I closed the door of my room and followed Tom.

♡♡♡

My stomach growled an hour after Tom left, yelling and cursing in front of a TV screen can make you hungry I guess. I shuffled through my fridge, nothing appealing to me, I moved on to my cupboard, I stood in front of it when I heard her screams. Slamming the door shut, I ran upstairs.

"I'm sorry! Don't leave! I'm sorry!" Scarlett yelled as I entered my room, she still had her eyes closed, but tears fell out.

"Scarlett!" I shook her shoulders trying to wake her up from her panic. "It's okay. It was a bad dream. Scarlett!" 

Breathing hard, she opened her eyes bolting up. She gingerly touched her face, and realizing she'd been crying she quickly wiped away her tears. "It was my fault. It was all my fault. He left because of me." She whispered and more tears slipped out of her eyes.

"Scar, it's okay, it'll be okay." Not knowing what else to do I pulled her in to a tight hug and I don't know how long we just stayed like that. We just hugged until she needed it and she stopped sobbing after some time. 

"Nightmare?" I asked. 

"Yeah." 

"Happen often?"

"Sometimes. Sorry for that... uh- Evans?" Her face scrunched up in worry and she looked around the room, taking in the fact she was still here. "I did something stupid, didn't I?"

"Do I really smell like cinnamon?" I gave her a cocky smile and she shoved her face in a pillow and groaned. 

"Take me home you weirdo." She muffled through the pillow.

"Sure. How about some ice cream first, though?" 

"You really like ice cream, don't you?" She asked teasingly. 

"Everyone loves ice cream." I replied, winking at her.  

We headed down to the kitchen and I brought out some rocky road ice cream, scooping it in to two bowls for us. We sat in the kitchen in a comfortable silence, drinking in the peaceful moment we rarely get. 

The front door opened, and sounds of boots thudding in came. "Alexandeerr? I'm home baby brother!"

"In here!" I yelled back, rolling my eyes.

Her eyes widened slightly seeing Scarlett sitting with me. "Hey guys, on another date? Aah Scarlett, you look great when you're not in my clothes." Mary winked and I gave her a glare.

Scarlett just smiled, a little embarrassed. "Hey Mary."

"Alex, how about you go give Ma a call making sure she's coming late, while I chitchat with your girl." Mary said.

"She's not my girl, Mary." I said through gritted teeth.

"Ah yes, how could I? She's not Hazel is she?" 

"Who's Hazel?" Scarlett asked, her eyebrows furrowing.

"No one." I cut her off. "Mary, how about you go and call Ma."

"Alrighty, but Scarlett, if Alex doesn't tell you about his life long crush Hazel, don't hesitate to ask me. It's all a little embarrassing to be frank." Mary said laughing and I stood up and threw my spoon across the room.

Mary shrieked and ran out of the kitchen as I stalked off to grab another spoon from the drawer. I plopped back down in my seat, avoiding Scarlett's gaze.

"So ... Hazel, huh?" Scarlett asked, I could tell she was trying to act casual.

"Don't ask." I grumbled. Hazel. The first time I saw Scarlett Devereaux and her mischevious eyes, laughing at the half naked boy rocking out in his backyard, I'd noticed her wild hazel eyes. Whenever I would complain to Ma about the girl who'd bother me in school and the girl who I'd prank all the time, the one that got on my nerves... I'd call her Hazel. Mary and my Ma both know of the infamous Hazel.

I stuffed spoons of my ice cream to avoid the awkwardness around Scarlett and I. Then asked her if she was ready to go and Scarlett nodded slowly, I could tell she was annoyed by my unclear answers- maybe even jealous. I smirked inwardly.

♡♡♡ 

A/N 1000 READS??! Thank you so much for each view/read even if you didn't like the story, the fact that you clicked counts for a first time writer!

Also, this chapter is weird ish like awkwardly written, sorry, I TRY 

I know I've been gone for like almost a month, we were on a family trip and I got like writers block or something/ BUT IM BACK and the next chapter is effing something! 

Stay tuned, thanks for reading :)