XX

CHAPTER 20

  "There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment."
-Sarah Dessen

An hour later, Logan's car parked in front of me. As expected, I got in, exhausted and shaken. I looked at Logan who was silent, his eyes on the road, which was surprising yet relieving. I didn't need him telling me 'I told you so' tonight.

"Logan?" I called out to him, my lips dry from dehydration and a killer headache. "Where are mom and dad? Why didn't they come? I waited for an hour." I complained lightly. I was worried why they didn't show up, but more so I felt uncomfortable in the silence Logan was emitting. Logan didn't answer me, he just kept driving.

"Where are we going?" I asked noticing this wasn't the route to our home. Something was wrong and I was getting desperate for answers.

Logan finally spoke up but he spoke curtly. "To the hospital."

A pang of fear hit me and I told myself not to expect the worst. I cautiously asked. "Why?"

"Mom and dad got in to an accident. I got the call." Logan still didn't look at me, his jaw clenched as he pulled in to the hospital lot.

"What? How?" I cried. Mom and dad were in the hospital. Avoiding yet another question, Logan just got out of the car, slamming the door behind him.

My heart was pounding and I felt my world falling apart. Barely holding it together, Logan and I went in to the hospital. 

Rushing in, we consulted the grouchy lady at the reception of our parents' room. We went to the emergency room, where mom and dad were still in treatment. I sat down in the waiting room, and Logan paced around. He didn't stop until the doctors came out.

When the doctors delivered their message to us, we knew we had lost everything. I knew I lost my parents. I'd lost my parents to a drunk driving accident. I went to a party against all odds. I'd called my parents to come for me. And they'd rushed out to their deaths.

Logan fell in to a chair, his head in his hands and I could see his shoulders slightly shaking. The shock obviously overwhelmed me because I felt nothing right now. I could not decipher what was going on right now and worst of all I had no idea how to comfort my sobbing brother.

He finally lifted his head, and looked straight at me. Properly for the first time. "Logan, I-"

He looked at me and quietly said. "You killed them. You know that don't you?" The look in his eyes tore my soul in half. 

I knew. I knew I'd killed them. "I know." I whispered.

So when he left me, I didn't stop him. I deserved to be left alone. And he left me.

♡♡♡

I could hear panicked voices calling out my name in a distance. Then the voice got closer and louder, pounding hard through my head. I opened my eyes and saw Evans' worried face peering at me. I regained consciousness from my little black out, which was weird because I'm sure I didn't hit my head.

"You had me worried, I drive here and see you lying in the middle of the road." He said in a low voice, carefully holding my shoulders and pulling me up in to a sitting position. "You're a trouble magnet, you know that?"

I groaned in reply, gripping my left leg, which was heavy and burning. I could swear this time I'd thought it was real. That it wasn't an illusion or a dream and that Logan was back, a few seconds ago