XXII

CHAPTER 22

"I hate him. Except for all the places where I love him half to death.”
Charlotte Stein

For once in my life I believed in someone more than life itself. I pulled Alexander Evans closer by the collar, our lips moving in perfect melody, our heartbeats rapid and heat coming off from the electricity between us. I've only heard about world's colliding, and now I've felt it.

As we pulled away, I refused to look anywhere other than Evans' face, I refused to regret my step, and I refused to worry about his rejection. Because I know, this is my moment. I know what I deserve and I have no time for self pity.

I almost grinned as Evans recovered from shock and his eyes danced in excitement. But of course, Evans smirked. "Damn." Then Evans fell back on to the bed beside me, mumbling something, 'should've kissed ... long ago ... crazy ... shit exploding...'

He took a deep breath and pulled on my arm, making me fall right beside him. "Y'know maybe we should do another test run, practice makes perfect."

"Nah, I think it was pretty perfect." I replied cheekily.

"Then let's be better than perfect." He leaned in, not waiting for another reply.

♡♡♡

The sunlight poured through the window and woke me up. I found myself tangled with Evans, who was still sleeping. I smiled thinking this was the first morning I'd woken up happy in a long time. I carefully tried to get my leg off of his legs and slid off the bed.

Evans' eyes cracked open slowly, and he breathed in deeply. "Mornin' Hazel."

I don't know when the nickname stuck. But I loved it. "Hey."

"Y'know, there's something special about this morning..." Evans said with a little mischievous smile.

"Yeah?" I asked, unsure of what else to say.

"Mhmm."

"What's that?" I asked, daring to keep up the playful mood.

"Mom's cookin' pancakes! I can smell it."

The flirtatious mood immediately dropped and I almost frowned, instead laughter bubbled up my throat. Evans started laughing too.

"You're an idiot."

"A cute idiot. Wait no- I'm your cute idiot."

I snorted in response and started walking to the bathroom.

"Too soon?"

Quickly washing up, I walked back to the room, where I was met by his painted walls. But no Evans. Waiting for a few minutes, I walked out, following the noise of chatter, down to the living room.

"...was here all night? What are you playing at Evans?" It was Logan.

"What am I playing at? Where the hell did you run off to last night at the hospital?"

"I went to have a talk with David Hale."

"I don't need you to come sort my shit out for me, Logan." I interrupted their conversation, Logan looked at me with a pitiful expression.