Chapter 1

Bella POV

His departure hit me like a truck going head first into a brick wall. I was numb, nothing made sense. He couldn't leave me. He promised never to leave me. That's wasn't right though, he never promised me he would stay forever. I tried to make him promise but he said only as long as it was good for me. I needed him and he left me all alone. What was I supposed to do without him?

I collapsed under the weight of my pain and despair. The emotional pain was so strong I couldn't think anymore. I didn't notice the pain when my knees hit the forest floor. I didn't notice my pants were now wet.

"Bella," a voice called to me. I barely registered my name. The voice was familiar but I couldn't place it. It wasn't his voice so it didn't matter. "Oh Bella," the voice said.

I was pulled off the ground and into this unknown person's arms. The body was cold but I couldn't look up to see their face. I didn't have the will to do it. They would leave too so I didn't want to know.

"You're home now," the voice said. I didn't move when I was set down on my bed. "I have to go now, your dad is almost home, but I will be back for you. I promise."

I felt cold, hard lips on my forehead but when I looked up they were gone.

OCTOBER

NOVEMBER

Sweat poured down my body and my heart was pounding in my chest. I couldn't breathe. No matter how much air was in my lungs or how hard I tried. I couldn't breathe and it hurt. There was a hole in my chest that destroyed everything. He destroyed everything. I was a shell of the person I was, a zombie.

Charlie tried to get me to go to Florida but I refused. He couldn't go there so I wouldn't either. It had been two months since he left and I was still trying to convince myself he would come back for me. He had to come back for me. I wondered if he felt half of what I was feeling right now.

I got out of the comfort and safety of my bed and went to my dresser to look for clothes for school. A folded up note on my dresser caught my eye and I pulled my hands out of the drawers. The note read Bella on the outside in violet ink.

I unfolded the note wondering who would want to talk to me. I avoided people like the plague. More than that I wondered how someone had gotten into my room.

Bella, it read.

I'm sorry it took so long to keep my promise. I tried to come back but they wouldn't let me. I was able to sneak away, now that he left.

I've checked around and you're not doing well Bella. I would like to help, if you would let me. It's your choice, I would never force you to do anything.

I will be at Kokopelli in Port Angeles at 7pm tonight. If you don't show then I know there is no chance you will ever forgive me.

Until then, I am forever yours.

There was no signature.

I reread the note wondering if they meant to quote Journey at me. I loved Journey and it was almost as if whoever wrote the note knew that. I set the paper down next to a rose and tried to figure out who it was and more importantly if I was going to go.

Charlie would be thrilled if I did go but what if it was a trick? If it was a trick did I really care? I already lost my soul mate, death wouldn't mean much. They would probably be happy I was dead, and then they wouldn't have to worry about me exposing their secret.

I decided to go but I wanted to know who I was meeting. It wasn't him that much was certain. My mind flashed to the coven leader. It had to be him. He would be the most concerned about my wellbeing. He would feel the most guilty about leaving, if any of them felt guilty.

Something about the note bothered me. "If you don't show then I know there is no chance you will ever forgive me?" I could only think of one person that would want forgiveness, though there is nothing to forgive.

Jasper. It was him. He wanted me to forgive him. But why would he want to help me? Unless he felt guilty and wanted to do some sort of a trade. My forgiveness for his help. Would he leave after I was better?

School went by as it usually did, quick and boring. My grades were perfect because I didn't do anything besides homework and study.

I went to work and did what I had to do, ignoring Mike and his feeble attempts to talk to me. I was pleased he stopped trying to get me to go out with him.

Charlie wasn't home when I pulled into the driveway so I went to my room to do homework while I waited. For the first time in two months I was having trouble focusing on my work, I was just too distracted. Meeting Jasper tonight took over my thoughts, even though it hurt to think about it. I wondered where Alice was and if she would join us.

Alice. I missed her. She was my best friend and now she is gone too. I thought she would have tried to stay but I guess not. Maybe she didn't care. If only I was more excited about being Bella Barbie then maybe she would have stayed.

I was cooking dinner when Charlie came home at five. "Hi dad," I greeted when he walked into the kitchen.

"Evening Bella," he said. He took off his jacket, badge and gun and left the room. As he left I saw him removing the bullets. He had been doing that ever since they left. I don't know why, I wasn't going to shoot myself. It was very messy for one and I would never do that to Charlie or Renee. And I promised him I wouldn't do anything reckless or stupid.

He came back, dressed in regular clothes, when I finished cooking. It was now or never if I wanted to go out.

"Dad," I said setting his food on the table. "Can I go to Port Angeles? I've been wanting to get out of the house, maybe go to the bookstore."

He took a few bites before speaking, probably weighing the options. Trying to figure out if letting me go would be worth the possibility of me feeling better. "Are you going with anyone?"

I shook my head. "Not out too late Bella," he said. He was trying to be stern but I could hear the happiness in his voice. I was doing something and that is all he cared about.

I changed my clothes while Charlie ate. I wanted to look nice for Jasper. I wanted to prove to him I was ok. I said goodbye to Charlie after I finished, promising to be home at a reasonable hour.

The trip to Port Angeles was slow but it was no surprise considering my truck doesn't go over 50mph. I still loved my truck but part of me wanted to get rid of it because it was a reminder of what I lost. When I pulled into the parking lot with five minutes to spare, I didn't see any expensive cars when I looked around. Then again I had no idea what kind of car Jasper drove.

I took a deep breath before climbing out of my truck. I slammed the door shut and walked into the restaurant.

"Name," the host said when I walked inside. He sounded bored and never looked up from his magazine.

"Bella Swan," I said. "I'm supposed to be meeting someone here." I didn't give Jasper's name in case Jasper didn't want anyone to know he was here.

He looked up and stuffed his magazine into a cubby. "Of course ma'am," he said. He called me ma'am, what on Earth made him call me that. Did Jasper scare him into being polite?

I wonder what Jasper said to him. As soon as I said my name his personality did a 180. "She is waiting for you," he said getting up to escort me.

Did he just say she? If it's not Jasper then who is it? It only took a minute for me to find out. "Hello Bella," a soft musical voice said. I recognized the voice although I haven't heard it much over the nine months I've known her and anytime she spoke it was harsh and mean. Now it was nice, calm, gentle and pleading, like she didn't want me to walk away.

I looked up into the golden eyes I never expected to see again. "Rosalie," I said in shock.