Chapter 17

Chapter 17
Guest- I am upping the rating of this story as there will most likely be smut coming up, however I am not good at writing that so if anyone wants to help I would be eternally grateful.

Kitsunekit75- Edward, Carlisle and Esme will be coming back. Some will show up sooner than others.

tlc125- I've never been to Texas, so for some reason the thought of it being sunny did not cross my mind, stupid I know, but I tried to correct that mistake in this chapter.

Bella

I woke up sometime after we got out of Washington. Rosalie had warned me it would be about a two day trip to get to Texas. It was supposed to take longer but between the way Rosalie drives and their hurry to get away it would be a much shorter trip. I was in the front seat next to Rosalie while Emmett was in the back. Rosalie had pulled over when she got to the highway and waited for Emmett. He, along with Jasper and Alice, had made sure the house would burn to the ground. The wolves had apparently stayed close by to make sure the other houses weren't affected.

"Are you hungry?" Rosalie asked me. We were somewhere in Idaho now though I wasn't sure where. It was dark and all I could see were the lights flashing by as we sped down the highway.

"Yes," I admitted as my stomach growled. I hadn't eaten since the bonfire but that could have been last night, only a few hours earlier. I couldn't exactly remember.

"We will stop soon," Rose promised. "Alice and Jasper have to keep going. Jasper wants to talk to Peter and Charlotte and get Charlie settled before we get there." I nodded.

Ten minutes later, I kept an eye on the clock, Rosalie pulled into the parking lot of a diner that was open twenty-four hours. It was in the middle of nowhere and there were very few cars in the parking lot. If it wasn't for the fact that I was with two vampires, one of which would go to extreme lengths to protect me, I would be worried about being here.

Rosalie led me inside with Emmett right behind us. There was no host to seat us so Rosalie directed me to a booth that was away from the other guests. She slid in and I climbed in next to her. Emmett sat across from us.

I didn't realize I was shaking until Rosalie handed me her jacket. "Charlie," I muttered. I hoped he was alright. I had heard stories of the change and I didn't want Charlie in pain. I prayed he would forgive me for being so selfish. I couldn't let him die though. I brought vampires into my life and into his life. No matter what anyone said this was my fault.

"Is fine," Emmett finished. Rosalie squeezed my hand. "Jasper is doing everything he can to keep Charlie calm until they get to Texas."

The waitress came over and took our drink orders. Rosalie and Emmett ordered iced tea like I did. I figured it was so I had extra in case I was extra thirsty. I sipped it and made a face at the taste. It was way too strong for me. I preferred my tea sweeter. I reached over Rosalie and grabbed a few packets of sugars. I poured one in and then another, followed by a third. I was going for the fourth when Rosalie gently grabbed my hand.

"If you keep putting sugar in that it's not going to taste like tea anymore," she whispered to me.

I dropped the packet and stirred the tea. I wasn't as thirsty as I thought I was but it gave me something to do other than dwelling on Charlie's death. "Do you think they will find out?" I asked suddenly. I looked up and both Rosalie and Emmett were confused. "Carlisle, Esme... Edward, do you think they will hear the news? Do you think they will care?"

"We don't know," Emmett answered. I looked at the menu. Even though I was hungry nothing looked particularly appetizing. "It's possible they will hear about it eventually but who knows when. I know they will care though."