Chapter 26

Rosalie

I carefully slipped out of the bed and pulled on my robe when I heard my cell phone ring. I ran downstairs and grabbed the phone, wondering who would call me here. The others know I don't want to be disturbed this weekend unless there was an emergency. "Hello," I answered.

"Rosalie," Esme said. I frowned. Why was Esme calling me? She had only said one thing to me since I last saw her.

"What do you want?" I asked. I was glad Bella was asleep, otherwise she would have yelled at me for being rude.

"I wanted a chance to talk to you and Bella," Esme said.

"Now's not a good time," I said. I refused to ruin Bella's weekend to talk to Esme. Even if Esme was the more reasonable of the two.

"I understand but I would really like to talk to the two of you," Esme said sadly. "Perhaps sometime when you aren't busy?"

I hesitated. "I don't think that's a good idea."

"I'm sorry about what happened earlier. What Carlisle said was over the line," Esme said. I could hear the anger in her voice and it surprised me. She had never been angry at him before. She always sat back and let Carlisle do what he wanted. It was the main thing about her that always frustrated me. "I will be speaking to him about what he said." She paused for a moment. "I wanted to thank you for sparing Carlisle. I am angry with him and I don't blame you for reacting the way you did, but thank you."

"I didn't do it for you," I said. "I did it for Bella."

"I know," Esme said sadly. "But I'm still grateful."

"I'll talk to Bella," I said sighing. "But keep Carlisle away. I don't trust him, no matter what Jasper tells me."

"Thank you," Esme said before hanging up.

I tossed my phone on the couch. "Hey," Bella called from the bottom of the stairs, wearing a robe Alice had packed for her. I whipped around to look at her. I was so focused on Esme I hadn't heard her come down.

"Did I wake you?" I asked concerned.

Bella shrugged. "I woke up and you weren't there," she said, pretending it didn't matter. I could detect a hint of fear in her voice.

Damn, how could I have been so stupid? Ever since Edward left her and I came back she had been afraid we would leave her again. After time that fear had started to subside. She would never admit it out loud because she didn't want to seem needy but I knew that fear was still there. I made sure I was always around when she woke up so this wouldn't happen.

"I'm sorry," I said walking over to her and pulling her against my chest. "I didn't mean to scare you."

Bella shook her head. "It's stupid," she said. "I didn't mean to be clingy."

"You're not clingy," I said breathing in her scent. "You just have abandonment issues thanks to Edward. They don't disappear overnight. It takes time. Are you hungry?"

"A little," she admitted.

I pulled her to the kitchen so I could cook for her. "What do you want to eat?" I asked.

"Just a sandwich," she replied. "What time is it?"

"Just after four," I said after checking my phone. "You slept most of the afternoon."

"Sorry," she said looking down.

I sat the knife down and went to her side. "Don't be sorry," I said. "We are together, that's all that matters this weekend."

I kissed her forehead and went back to her sandwich. "Do we have time to ride the motorcycle tonight?" she asked.

"We have a few hours until dark," I said. "We can go after you eat."