A Thousand Miles

bubblegumbroadway here we go (fyi, you're also so adorable the way you commented this in all caps, just saying :) )

John knew very well what the best part of his days were. 

When he'd race home from the school of homophobes and white assholes and get to his computer. There he'd get a message from his internet boyfriend, Alex. Or, as his username was, honeyglazedhamilton. Needless, to say, Alex didn't know how to change it. 

Alex was 17 while John was 19. They made it work. It was impractical, sure, and they've never met. But John understood Alex and Alexander understood John. 

turtleboi: hey im back miss me?

honeyglazedhamilton: i always do ;)

turtleboi: how was ur day

honeyglazedhamilton: meh the usual

turtleboi: aw im sorry

turtleboi: skype?

John and Alex have never seen each other's faces...but they talk on skype all the time. John wished, more than anything, that he could go to Nevis and see Alex. Or for him to some to South Carolina. But things don't work like that, John always sadly reminded himself. 

"Hey," John said, situating himself on his bed. He put his earbuds in and let himself drown in Alex's voice. 

"Hey John," Alex said, you could tell he was smiling. 

The two indulged in meaningless banter until Martha Laurens came barging into the room, startling John so much he almost fell off the bed. 

"Are you talking to your boyfriend again?!" Martha demanded. "You know Daddy doesn't approve of that."

Thousands of miles away, Alexander winced. It was true. They were never going to have a real relationship. He would never be able to hold John's hand or run his fingers through his hair. Or kiss him or hug him. No one approves of an online relationship, especially a gay one. Both Alex and John knew and hated this fact. 

"Martha," John hissed, putting Alex on hold. What he didn't know was that Alex was still listening on the other end, as he hadn't clicked the right button. "Get out of my room! Screw dad, alright? Don't tell him, okay?"

"You're breaking his rules, he has to know," Martha retorted. John groaned.

"If you don't tell him, I'll buy you some ice cream when we go out later, alright?"

"Okay, thanks, Johnny!" Martha said like nothing had happened. She gave him a too-sweet smile and skipped off. 

"Sorry Alex," John said. "Alex? Hello? Huh...weird."