The Happy Birthday Bagel

"It's okay, Jacky," Alex said, putting an arm around John. John came running over to Alex's house because his dad and siblings forgot it was his birthday. The two were 5 (AND A HALF, DON'T FORGET THE HALF)  years old. "I remembered your birthday."

Sniffing, John rubbed his nose against his arm and looked up at Alex. "Really? Aw, thank you, Lexi!" John threw his arms around Alex and hugged him for a good while, not wanting to be let go. He wanted Alex to hold him forever. 

"Of course," Alex pulled him up and, still holding his hand, he ran him to his room. Sitting on his floor, Alex dug underneath his bed until he found a poorly wrapped box. It was wrapped in a newspaper, with a smile painted on the top with Eliza's glitter glue pens. 

"Here," Alex shoved the box towards John. 

Smiling, John took the top off. It was stuffed turtle with a  heart on its shell. Pulling it out, John cuddled it to his chest, a huge grin across his lips. "Thank you Alex! I love it! I love you!" Alex smiled and placed a baby kiss on John's cheek. 

"I knew you'd like it. I picked it out for you and bought it with my own money. My half from the lemonade stand me and Lafayette made together!"

John looked at Alex and then at the turtle and then started crying again. "You're my best friend, Alex," John said, in between tears. "Thank you so much!"

Alex held John as he cried, petting the top of his head. "Always."

The two (after John pulled himself together) crept into Alex's kitchen. "I don't have a cupcake," Alex said, after rummaging through the fridge. "But I have a doughnut...oh wait, it's a bagel. Will that do?"

"What kind of bagel?"

"Blueberry."

"Yeah, that'll do."

Unable to use matches, Alex stuck an unlit candle into the edge of the bagel and put it on a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle plate. He put it in front of John and sang happy birthday to him.

"Make a wish!" Alex screeched. John did. He wished that he and Alexander would always be together...always. Squeezing his eyes shut, he blew at the already blown at candle while Alex clapped. 

The two then proceeded to eat the bagel, tearing off four pieces (two each). 

"Alex?" John called, he threw his keys on the hallway table and turned on the lights. "Alex? I'm home!"

"No! Turn the light back off, for effect!"

Confused, John flicked the light switch back off. 

Alex came out of the room, holding a plate with a bagel on it. There was a green candle on the side, lit up and showing Alex's happy face. "Happy birthday to you..." Alex sung and John put a hand over his mouth, tears in his eyes. 

Smiling, after the song was over, Alex shoved the plate towards John. "Blow out the candle," he coaxed. "Make a wish."

John smiled. He had gotten his wish, nearly 16 years ago. He and Alex were now dating, had an apartment and were very happy. They stuck together, thick and thin, good and bad. And they loved each other, that was John's wish. He thought of what he wanted. Looking at Alex, he smiled. He wanted to marry Alex, that was his wish. Hopefully, he would have the same luck as 16 years ago. 

Blowing out the candle, Alex clapped his hands together. Leaning over the plate (they were sitting crosslegged on their kitchen floor, the bagel in between the two of them), Alex placed a hand on John's cheek and kissed him. Breaking away. after a few seconds. "Aw, babygirl, you figured out how to light a candle!"

"Aw shut up," Alex said, playfully. "I just thought that 16 years ago, the bagel was a little underwhelming. I'm jazzing it up. Do you like it?"

"I love it," John whispered. He broke off a piece and popped it into his mouth. "It's blueberry."

"Of course it is," Alex said, in a 'duh' voice. "Oh, I have presents!"

This time, Alex slid four boxes towards John. John laughed. "Babygirl, you didn't need to get me this much stuff!"

"Yes I did," Alex beamed at John. "Yes...I did." 

One was a baseball cap that said "I'M GAY (and also taken)." Another was a black sweatshirt that had a picture of a gummy bear on it (Alex said he just thought it was funny). The other two were from Peggy and Laf and Herc. The one from Peggy was a new sketch book and the one from the Mullfayette couple was a Lin Manuel Miranda CD, John's favorite play. 

"This is all awesome," John said, unable to keep the grin off his lips. It was a far cry from 16 years ago when no one in his family even acknowledged him or his birthday. He was happy. Alex was chewing on a piece of bagel. 

"I actually have one more thing for you," Alex said. "It's smaller than the other presents, but I think you'll like it."

"Wait, are you giving me your dick?" John asked, playfully. Alex reached over a shoved him. 

"Shut up, asshole." Alex dug through his pocket and pulled something out. He held it out for John to see. John gasped, a hand clamped over his mouth, tears streaming down his cheeks. 

"John Laurens, will you marry me?" 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN LAURENS I LOVE YOU SO MUCH YOU DONT EVEN UNDERSTAND I SOLD MY SOUL TO YOU OVER THE SUMMER

I HOPE YOU SPENT IT WITH ALEXANDER

but yeah, happy bday j.lau