CHAPTER 27

Manik panicked knowing that Nandini was unconsious. He moved her cheeks trying to wake her up.
Manik: Nandini!! Nandini!! What happened??
He caressed her face due to worry & all he heard was her drowsy voice saying,
Nandini: Dont leave me alone!! Plz don't leave me alone!!
Manik: Nandini!! What r u saying?? No one is leaving u alone... See I m here right next to u. I love u Nandini!! U r not alone....
Nandini seemed to hv heard him as he saw her getting into deep slumber. Manik slowly got up from the bed, wore his shirt & moved out of her room. He saw the time, it was 4:30am, he knew no doctor would be available at that time so he moved down. As he got down a servant came running to him,
Servant: Sir u need anything??
Manik: Yes, get me a bowl or ice cold water & a fresh cloth...
The servant simply nodded and left from there. Manik was feeling very worried because of this sudden high fever of nandini, so he took out his phone & called someone.
" Hello!!" said the other person in a sleepy voice.
Manik: Cabir... get up & reach Nandini's place ASAP!!
Cabir: Manik... So early!! Is Nandini alright??
Manik: U just come here fast.
Cabir: Ohk I'll reach in 15 minutes.
The servant returned with the tray & gave it to Manik, who took it & ran upstairs... He slowly got into the room & sat next to Nandini. He started placing cold water strips on her head, to bring her temperature down. Nandini was in deep sleep due to her fever. Manik continued it, when Cabir rushed into the room at 5am.
Cabir: Nandu!!
He said as he saw Manik sitting there placing wet cloth on her head & rushed to the other side of the bed.
He sat there & touched her head & noticed it hot.
Cabir: She is burning with fever!!
Manik motioned him to lower down his volume & then placed a fresh cloth on her head. He tucked one more blanket over her & then motioned Cabir to move out of the room. Both of them got out & he slowly closed the door.
Manik: I m sorry yr Cabir, I called u like this... But this sudden high fever of her's I didn't know what to do & no doctor would hv been available at such a time. So-
Cabir: Manik! Manik! Calm Down.... She will be fine!! Don't worry....
Cabir could see Manik's state, so he took him downstairs.
Cabir: Kaka, two mugs of coffee plz...
Both of them moved out to the garden & sat there.
Cabir: But Manik this can't be sudden... I think maybe its something related to her leg. Otherwise nandu only gets such fevers when she islike in over stress, or some tension!!
Manik: This time too its the same Cabir... I m sure something is bothering her.
Cabir: How r u so sure?
Manik narrated him what happened when he woke up & the words that nandini said. And as he finished Cabir said,
Cabir: Manik I know u r a way too stressed now but there is something that I need to ask u!!
Manik: Go on Cabir...
Cabir: Manik... Actually I... I wanted to know... I just...
Manik: Cabir don't hesitate yr!! I know this is related to Nandini, but ask whatever u want to.
Cabir: Look Manik u r my friend & thus I m asking u straight forward... What do u see as the future of this relationship of ur's with Nandini?
Manik heard him clearly, but that question made him quite for a few moments. Nandini & Manik had just realised that they love each other & he had never fought of so far off.
Cabir: I know this is very soon to answer such a question but Manik, I would hv never asked u this but this is really important for nandini. I will tell u the reason behind this question but it will be only after u know the answer to it. U think about it properly, take ur time, be sure about it in a few days & then only tell me.
Just then their coffee arrived & they took a mug each. Cabir took a sip from his mug while Manik was thinking about Nandini. He thought about all the time that he had spent with nandini in the past few days. He remembered their first date, all the things that Nandini had done for him & the happiness that arises in his heart just to hv her all right in front of him. Cabir noticed him & said,
Cabir: Manik... Coffee!!
Manik: Yeah...
Manik took a sip & then said,
Manik: Cabir.. I don't exactly know what is the future of nandini & me... But i knw one thing that I can't live without Nandini. Her smile gives me happiness & a single tear from her eyes breaks my heart into a million peices. I love her a lot. Maybe more than I even know!!
Cabir: Manik, u don't need to be so fast. Think about it!!
Manik: No Cabir... I m sure about this... I love nandini a lot & I can't live without her at all. She is like the star in my sky, u only tell me for how long can the sky be without the stars.
Cabir smiled at him & hugged him. Manik broke the hug & then asked,
Manik: Now tell me why u asked this??
Cabir: Ohh ya... I forgot the main thing... I knw the reason for Nandini's sudden fever.
Manik: What u know it!! Tell me na....
Cabir: This is not the first time, Nandini is having such a fever.... This kind of a thing has happened many times before this also.
Manik: What do u mean Cabir??
Cabir: From the day of that accident, Nandini's life changed entirely. She has always longed for love & care from someone whom she could consider as hers. That fatefull dream keeps on threatning her. Even after so many years it had not stopped & that is what happened last night.
Manik: Thats why she was repeating those words??
Cabir: Yes... I just wanted u to know this before only. Because, Nandini has already started keeping u at that place. She feels that finally u r the one whom she could call as her own.
Manik: Don't worry cabir... And thank u for being there!! Now lets go, I think we should check on her....
Both of them moved up & slowly entered the room. They sat on either side of nandini. Manik removed the cloth from her head and checked her tempreture. He found it a bit low & looked at Cabir & nodded. He again turned towards Nandini & bent down to kiss her forehead. Just then Nandini slowly said,
Nandini: Ma..Manik!!
She slowly opened her eyes & looked at Manik. Manik smiled slightly & held her hand. She looked at Cabir who kept his hand on her head & smiled. Manik slowly made her sit up & then filled up a glass of water for her. He made her drink some water & then asked,
Manik: How r u feeling now??
Nandini(smiling): I m f9!!
Cabir: Nandu yr, why do u take so much tension, u got us scared...
Nandini didn't say anything & looked down. It was clear by her face that she was feeling guilty. Manik smiled at her & cupped her face saying,
Manik: Its ohk!! But don't scare me like this in the future.
Nandini looked at him with teary eyes & then hid her face in his chest. Manik tapped her back a little, but that only made her tighten her grip. Cabir got up from the bed & said,
Cabir: Chalo now that Nandini is fine... I m going!!
Manik: Ohk... & yes, I will stay with Nandini today, so I won't come to college also... I know we decided for one hour practise before me heading off to college but U plz cover up for me & tell something or the other to the rest.
Nandini immediately broke the hug listening to this & said,
Nandini: WHY?? Why won't u go?? U r going.
Manik: No I m not.
Nandini: Manik..
Manik: Nandini, I m not going anywhere leaving u like this.
Nandini: I m f9, I don't need a baby sitter anymore... U already hv been here from yesterday.
Manik: But--
Nandini: No buts, just go!! Cabir, take ur friend with u...
Both Manik & Cabir looked at each other defeated as they knew no one could win over Nandini's wish. Manik turned back towards Nandini & said,
Manik: Ohk, I'll go but only when u promise me that u r not getting out of this bed.
Nandini: Done!!
Manik: U r not taking any sort of tension or stress...
Nandini: Promise!!
Manik: And if u need anything... Like any damn thing!! U straight forward call me without wasting any time.
Nandini: Any thing??
Manik: Yes!!
Nandini: Ohk then.... Manik I need to go on the top of himalyas.
Cabir heard her & brust out in laughter while Manik looked at her angrily.
Nandini: Ohk Ohk... I m sry!! I promise I will follow all this. But now u go home coz u need to get ready and go to college before going to the office.
Manik smiled at her & then both of them left.
Manik reached home & quickly got a bath. He got out of the washroom & was getting ready when Mukti entered his room & jumped over him in happiness.
Mukti: BHAI !!!!
Manik: Woohh... Relax relax!! Whats the reason for this sweet happiness?
Mukti: Happiness... No!! Its nothing...
Manik: Come on I m ur brother... And if someone knows u so well then thats me!! So tell me...
Mukti: Really Bhai its nothing...
Manik: Ohk.. I'll accept it if u insist... But still I knw that I m right.
Mukti: U tell me.... Where were u all night??
Manik heard her & then thought about what to say,
Manik: Night.... Oo ya I came late coz of work...
Mukti: Come on Bhai... Don't lie, I know u weren't home all night as u didn't show up in my room. I always know it when u come to me in the night, but last night u didn't.
Manik: Actually I went somewhere for work...
He was expecting that Mukti would not take him truthful & ask more but then he heard her say,
Mukti: What Bhai!! Always work... U will fall ill by the amount of work that u r doing. Today I m surely gonna complain about u to dad.
Manik sighed a relief & then said,
Manik: Ohk Sorry Madam!!
Manik moved towards the mirror to get his hair done, while Mukti also followed him. Just then she noticed something on his table & said,
Mukti: Wow bhai... Is this some rare collection?? Its so awesome...
Manik didn't know what she was talking about and turned to his side to see her holding his watch. But it was not an ordinary watch, it was the same one that Nandini had gifted him.
Manik moved towards her & said,
Manik: Ya I bought it sometime back!!
Mukti: Ohh... But I like it a lot!! Can I keep it?
Manik: NO!!!
Manik immediately said. Mukti was suddenly taken aback by this as firstly Manik was very swift taking it back from her hand & secondly it was probably the first time ever Manik was saying no to Mukti for something like this.
Manik: Actually I don't have another watch right now... Don't worry I'll get one for u of the same kind.
Mukti: No... I want this one! Its so cool bhai..
Manik: Mukti... Chill na! I promise I'll get same kind for u.
Mukti looked at him disappointed,
Mukti: Ohk fine... But I want it soon.
Manik: Have I ever got back on my words for u??
Mukti: Never!!
Manik: Then?
Mukti just smiled at him & then said,
Mukti: Ohk now u get ready fast. Till then I'll call dad & we'll hv breakfast together.
Manik: Sure!!
Saying so Mukti left the room while Manik thought to himself.
Manik: How should I tell u Mukti, what is the significance of this watch in my life. I know u must be disappointed as I have said no to u for the first time ever but I know u will understand later.... God, I need to tell Fab5 about me & Nandini, that too today itself, any how!!
Saying so Manik got ready soon & then headed down for breakfast..