9

Note: All characters, names, situations are fictitious.

_

"Hey." I answered.

"I am downstairs." He said.

"Shit. Give me a minute." I said hanging up. Quickly I stepped outside the bathtub and put on my gown and flip flops and ran to the living room to open the entrance door for Erik. A few seconds later he was knocking my door. I opened it and he was leaned on the door with an inescrutable face.

"Are you going to invite me in?" He asked.

"Please." I said pointing the way.

He came inside and left a white box on the kitchen table.

"Cookies." He said.

"Are those for me?" I asked.

"No. For me." He said taking off his jacket and leaving it in one of my couches.

I nodded.

"Okay... So..You didn't have time to do that earlier?" He asked pointing to my gown and the fact that I just took a shower.

"I am sorry. I got distracted." I said shaking my head.

I took a seat next to him. He was quiet.

"So what is it that you want to talk about?" I asked looking at him.

He looked so pretty tho. I am really proud of saying Erik is my best friend. Women usually would drool over him. I remember when we were in high school. He was always unconfident and he didn't know how many girls wanted to be with him. I tried to lift his spirit all the time but he was stubborn.

Now that he's become a man, I see him in front of me, looking so mature and grown up. A lot of things have changed but he still is a bit unconfident. He has such a hard time believing he's attractive.

"Hello? Matilda? I am talking to you." He exclaimed.

"Oh sorry." I said shaking my head.

"I- I- What did you said?" I asked frowning.

He rolled his eyes.

"Are you okay?" He asked worried.

"Yeah it's just- You know... Work. I am a bit distracted because of work." I said.

"Why? Selling bagels is that hard for you?" He asked crossing his arms on his chest.

I rolled my eyes and sighed.

"Ok fine, I am sorry." He said lifting his hands. We looked at each other for a millisecond, he was annoyed. I know him, he's mad at me right now.

"So speak." I said.

He nodded.

"I just have a question. Why have you been avoiding me this last week?" He asked.

I swallowed hard.

"Well-

"Because it totally seems like you're avoiding me. Why? Why did I do wrong? Is it because of me? Is it my fault? I am trying to figure out why would you act like this with me but I can't come up with something, really. I need to know. Would you tell me, please?" He asked.

I looked at him serious.

"I thought It was only one question." I said and he blushed.

"I am not avoiding you Erik-

"Please Matilda. I came here to speak honestly." He exclaimed.

"Ok fine. I thought you were mad at me... I was a bit ashamed of how I responded to you." I said. I felt his eyes on me even tho I was looking to my knees.