The Way You Look Tonight - Tony Bennett

Owen stared out the window, watching as the rain poured down the window pane. He traced a finger down the window, following a drop of rain as it made a path, through the rest of the wetness.

It was his birthday again.

He'd grown to adapt his traditions to include Sang since the first year she was with them. It was hard to believe that had been 9 years ago.

He was 29.

It was rather remarkable if he stopped to think about it. He supposed it was soon going to be time to put away the solitude of the day for good.

He'd relented after the second year when Sang had asked if he would consider allowing her to make a family dinner for all of them for his birthday. She was quick to reassure him that if he wanted dinner the day before or after his actual birthday it would be fine. But he'd seen the flicker of concern in her eyes when she said it and he knew that part of her compromise of offering this came from Sean. Sean had never fully grasped the idea that he wanted to be completely alone on his birthday.

Seeing as he returned home every year to find a cake in his fridge and a party hat gracing an empty spot on the table. He understood that he'd hurt his best friend the first year that he took Sang with him on his birthday. In a way, he'd hurt himself as well. He honestly had always expected to take Sean with him and had surprised himself to no end when he took Sang along with him.

He thought back to their trip out to the dock this morning. Traditions had evolved since his first trips. He thought nothing at all about taking scones and coffee and tea instead of a full on bento lunch now. Sang had not allowed him to make his preparations today. He'd pondered that quite a bit on the way out to the lake but wasn't willing to break the silence they enjoyed enough to ask her why she'd left him out of the process today.

His heart leapt in his chest as he pictured her, bundled up in a warm coat and boots as she laid out the boxes today. Her cheeks were rosy in the cold, the soft gray of her scarf and hat setting off the beauty that was her natural look. His lips quirked up in a fraction of a smile as he remembered the look on her face as he took in the boxes she'd laid out.

"Sang... why is there an extra box?" he'd asked. There was one more box, albeit smaller than the other three boxes. His eyes flicked up to meet hers as her cheeks flushed a deeper pink.

"That's for the baby." She said softly.

His eyes had widened and he'd stared at her, mouth opening and shutting a few times like a fish. "Baby?"

She'd nodded and he finally reacted, reaching for her and kissing her deeply before they'd settled in and had lunch.

Someday, when I'm awfully low

When the world is cold

I will feel a glow

Just thinking of you

And the way you look tonight

"You're going to be a grandmother." He whispered to the mental image of his mother. He pressed his hand fully to the window for a moment before he turned, smiling at Sang as she entered the room.

She smiled back at him. "Dinner's almost ready, My Love." She said, crossing to him and wrapping her arms around his waist as she looked up at him. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." He said, a millimeter smile quirking the corners of his mouth up before he bent his head and kissed her. "And you're lovely." He murmured, reaching up a hand to caress her cheek.