The Letter

I can't wait until tomorrow! Can you believe it?! In less than 24 hours I will be at the mask ball. I have heard many different things about the ball. Apparently, the guy that you dance with at midnight, will be the one for you. I don't entirely believe this but no one can stop me from trying to believe. Right now I'm in art class. I'm not surprised that Cameron didn't sit next to me, he's like avoiding me or something. Which hurts, but then again it's not my problem. My art teacher, Ms. Goldoni was giving out our latest art projects which was a self-portrait. It was difficult and I enjoyed the challenge! As Ms. Goldoni walked towards me to give me my art project, she kept looking down on my work. I asked her "Is there something wrong?"

"No, nothing's wrong Nadia. I was just looking at something. Here's your project, your results and a little something extra."

"Thanks Ms! Umm what do you mean by something extra?"

"You'll see Nadia! By the way, the little extra wasn't from me." she walked off with a massive smile on her face. There were so many strange things happening today. It's quite mysterious. I looked at my work. I got 90% on this project! I'm so happy! I matched almost everything that was needed on the criteria! But then something slipped onto the floor. I bent down from my seat to pick it up. It was a light pink envelope that was scented, labelled... 'To Nadia' I wondered who it was from. I carefully opened the envelope because it looked fragile. Suddenly the bell went. Why does this bell have to ruin every special or mysterious moment I was going to have! Now I have to wait until the end of the day. But at least Courtney will be there.

I packed all my art stuff and put it into my locker. I ran outside, looking for Courtney, then I saw her there just sitting. She looked lonely but as soon as I shouted her name she was running towards me with a smile that probably went from the Philippines all the way to America! Just kidding! But seriously her smile was huge! I ran to her too, waving the light pink envelope in my hand. We stopped under a big tree. It wasn't just any tree actually. It was our friendship tree! Cameron, Courtney and I all met at this tree, so that's where the name came from. We all carved our names onto it so we would always remember.

As I stopped under the tree facing Courtney, she asked me "What's that?"

"I don't know. Ms. Goldoni gave it to me but she said it wasn't from her." I replied

We sat down and Courtney said "Well? What are you waiting for? Christmas?! Open it!"

I opened the flap of the envelope and carefully pulled out the letter. The letter was hand written and the paper itself looked like it was marble. My favourite! I read it out loud...

'Dear Nadia,

Just recently have we met, and you remind me of a sunset. My days used to be so cold and blue, until the day that I met you. Oh who am I kidding! I am no poet, but all I can say is that I truly write from the heart.

Ever since the day that I have laid eyes on you, you have changed my life. You gave me a reason for wanting to go to school every morning and you just lighten every day. You never noticed it but I was always there for you and by your side whenever times got tough for you... you are someone that I definitely can't lose. I need you by my side, every second, every minute and every hour of each day. You mean the world to me! meet me outside in the garden tomorrow at the ball. I will meet you there at midnight. I have tried to deny this feeling to my grave so many times but I just couldn't help it. CHOPSTICKS! I think I like you... wait, change that, I think that I have fallen for you. I will always be hopelessly waiting for you!

~anonymous'

I stared at the letter for a while. Well at least it felt like a long time. The letter was so sweet and I just can't stop guessing who it is! It's unfortunate that the person who wrote it is unknown and decided to stay anonymous.

"OMG!! Kilig ako!!!"

"huh?? What does that mean?" I asked Courtney

"It means OMG! I feel so giddy! Kilig... you know, that feeling that you get when your crush smiles, waves or even talks to you."

"Ohh! I get it now! But what is so kilig about that?"

"it's really sweet and its definitely straight from the heart! I wonder who it is!"

"I don't know who it is but all I can say is that I will find out tomorrow night."

I walked home that night, with so much curiosity, but as I was walking home I remembered that ma and pa were coming home the day after tomorrow! I can't wait!