Chapter 38

Tobias's POV

My alarm goes off, and I jump up out of bed. I couldn't sleep for most of the night. I kept waking up because I'm so excited for what I have planned today. I'm going to ask Tris to Prom today!

I haven't been spending that much time with her these past two weeks because I've been planning this big promposal. So hopefully, she's not mad enough to say no. Hopefully, she still loves me enough to say yes.

I jump into the shower and quickly wash. I go into my closet and find my best white dress shirt and black dress pants. I'll have to buy an actual suit for Prom, but this will do for today. I put them on, mess around with my hair, grab my stuff, and run down to the kitchen. I'm earlier than usual because I need to get to school before Tris does. I sit down at the table and grab an apple. I start eating it.

"What are you doing up so early?" Dad asks as he walks into the kitchen.

"I have to get to school before Tris does to start my plan. I'm asking her out to Prom today," I tell him.

"Well. I hope that it goes as planned," he says.

"I do too. I haven't been spending as much time with her as I usually do these past two weeks because I've been working so hard on this promposal. So hopefully, she doesn't hate me for that," I say.

"She couldn't ever hate you. She loves you too much. I know. I've seen the love in her eyes every time she's here," he replies.

"Well, I have to go. Bye," I say.

"Bye."

I grab my car keys and get in my car. I drive to school, get out of my car, and walk to my locker. I quickly gather the stuff I need and walk to Tris's locker. I put in her combination and open her locker. We know each others' combinations in case of emergencies. This counts as a kind of emergency, right?

Anyway, I grab the tiara out of my backpack and gently place it on the shelf. I grab the first poem out of my backpack, fold it, and slide it under the tiara. I then walk to the nearest corner and wait there. A freshman, Sam, walks up to me.

"Ok. So, here is the box that you are going to give to Tris, my girlfriend, in the cafeteria," I say, grab the stormy blue box out of my bag, and hand it to him. I take out the three notes, fold them, and hand them to him. "And these are the notes that you will give to Christina, Marlene, and Shauna, the three girls sitting with Tris."

He takes all of the stuff and nods his head.

"Ok. Got it," he says.

"Good. So I'll meet you outside the cafeteria to tell you when to go in. And thanks again, Sam. For doing this. It means a lot to me," I tell him.

"No problem. When I have  a relationship, I want mine to be like your's and Tris's relationship. It's so obvious how in love you two are," he explains. "I wish you luck with this. Even though I don't think that you need it. She'll say yes."

"Thanks," I say. "I really needed to hear that. I'm really nervous that she won't say yes. But you're right. She will. Right?"

"Of course she will. I'll see you at lunch."

"See you."

I look around the corner and see Tris arrive at her locker. She starts talking to Christina, and Christina hugs her. I can tell that Tris is down, and I feel like it's probably because of me. She opens her locker, takes out the tiara, picks up the piece of paper that fell on the floor, and reads the poem.

I watch her smile and show the poem to Christina. Christina squeals, takes the tiara, and puts it on Tris's head. Tris rolls her eyes and smiles at the same time.